What's the next step?

Looking for work? Post your resume here.
ThePetroLife

What's the next step?

Post by ThePetroLife » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:15 pm

Curious what folks have to say:

I worked many years as a field based technician. Startups, maintenance, troubleshooting, being on call for 15+ years. I also worked as a Service Manager overseeing multiple technicians, managing accounts and relations, parts, etc. The normal daily in's and out's of being in this business. I grew discontent with driving 50,000 - 75,000 miles a year and being gone from home, all while being on-call. I stepped away from the industry about a year ago and have not figured out what the "right direction" is to be heading. I have been offered a couple of sales positions, but don't particularly see myself as a salesman. I know that I have a lot to offer this industry, but I don't have any desire to be back out in the field. Do I just leave behind 17 years of experience and go to a totally new industry? What else exists within the industry that doesn't require being on call ALL THE TIME and in the field daily?

Feel free to chime in folks. Maybe with the help of some dedicated forum readers, we can find me a new home.

jbmccoll
Pump Jockey

Re: What's the next step?

Post by jbmccoll » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:40 pm

Perhaps a role as a "sales engineer"? Providing the technical expertise to the sales team and clients, developing solutions for the client, guiding integration and providing an escalation point for the client.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Time you went into business for yourself maybe?
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ThePetroLife

Post by ThePetroLife » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:39 pm

jbmccoll wrote:Perhaps a role as a "sales engineer"? Providing the technical expertise to the sales team and clients, developing solutions for the client, guiding integration and providing an escalation point for the client.
Does such a position exist? I've not run across that before.

fatboy
Head Tech

Post by fatboy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:30 am

.......... Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's a Gas! Gas! Gas! ------The Rolling Stones

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:36 pm

That's funny.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

podczaski
Head Tech

Post by podczaski » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:35 am

For a lot of us.....once you're in, you'er in for good...."Must be the fumes man!"

jbmccoll
Pump Jockey

Post by jbmccoll » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:06 pm

ThePetroLife wrote:
jbmccoll wrote:Perhaps a role as a "sales engineer"? Providing the technical expertise to the sales team and clients, developing solutions for the client, guiding integration and providing an escalation point for the client.
Does such a position exist? I've not run across that before.
Absolutely, many manufacturers and their distributors/dealers have them. Depending on the technology or the complexity of the system, the "sales" guy may not have the in-depth technical knowledge to answer all the client's questions or be able to guide them through the integration.....that's where the sales engineer comes in. Someone who can scrub up well enough for meetings or tradeshows, but still knows how to turn the screws and isn't afraid to get their hands dirty. Good luck!

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:05 pm

I have just added a new title to my business cards. I'm now a "Sales and Service Engineer". And yes there really are people that fit the positions title.

Part of my training in San Francisco years ago collecting cover charges and barking on Broadway in front of Carol Doda's "The Perfect 36" topless club and lounge will finely pay off. For those that might not remember I was using the aliases J. Q. Shagnasty at the Perfect 36 and Nosmo King across the street at the Condor Club. Next week I'll be cleaned up, filling balloons, barking and promoting the best things to come along since sliced bread at WPMA in Las Vegas.