20+ years looking

Looking for work? Post your resume here.
oldtimepumpdoc

20+ years looking

Post by oldtimepumpdoc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 pm

I would like to find a tech position in central to southern IND, certified Gilbarco / Veeder Root tech , OPW , GASBOY , expired WAYNE, TOKHEIM
Not looking to be on the road I don't and have never minded working long hours just don't want to be on the road . I have supervised techs in the past. I have developed training programs for techs. Sales and bidding not a problem . basically I can run calls all day or help with managing a service department or both . My best quality I wont lie, steal biggest fault When asked my opinion I will say my opinion if it hurts managements feelings I am sorry I will be honest Have a great day :D

petroman2014
Pump Jockey

Re: 20+ years looking

Post by petroman2014 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:05 am

What you wrote is same rule I have lived by:

When asked my opinion I will say my opinion if it hurts managements feelings I am sorry I will be honest

many don't like honesty....Good luck with your search, guess I am too old for them to see...

Joejohnson
Head Tech

Post by Joejohnson » Mon May 08, 2017 7:34 pm

oldtimepumpdoc wrote:I would like to find a tech position in central to southern IND, certified Gilbarco / Veeder Root tech , OPW , GASBOY , expired WAYNE, TOKHEIM
Not looking to be on the road I don't and have never minded working long hours just don't want to be on the road . I have supervised techs in the past. I have developed training programs for techs. Sales and bidding not a problem . basically I can run calls all day or help with managing a service department or both . My best quality I wont lie, steal biggest fault When asked my opinion I will say my opinion if it hurts managements feelings I am sorry I will be honest Have a great day :D
Sadly being honest and straight up is frowned upon by most.

It is glaringly apparent in todays environment.

I weep for the future.

oldtimepumpdoc

Post by oldtimepumpdoc » Tue May 09, 2017 5:47 am

I agree if you look at our industry you can see company's thriving with proper management .then you have the new managers either daddy's little boy or the office kiss ass they surround them selves with yes men that they can control sad thing is they leave allot of money out there dont realize reputation means allot still I hope to move back to Southern IN soon .

petroman2014
Pump Jockey

Post by petroman2014 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:30 am

Oh my...Having been in this business since 81 and 6 yrs off for bad attitude(early on) I am ME, no body else....My experience goes way way back to days of pumping units, Franken-Wayne pumps, so many no longer even remembered, consoles that have rusted and rotted away..I might be 63 BUT what I know and still have lurking in my CLEAR BRAIN wont be published online nor in any PDF...Hands on in this business has always been the bottom dollar to bet on...We the older and mature back bone of this sometimes nightmare business has carried it on our backs, we are the ones who have made G/B and Wayne, Tokiem,Bennet, RedJac, FePetro and more who they are as WE did all the beta testing when we would call to some of the rudest help desk people who took our experience and used it to produce a better(maybe) piece of equipment, had it not been for OLDER techs they may or may NOT be where they are today...Long days and long nites on our backs made them what they claim to be today..

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Tue May 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Unfortunately those working their way up in this service industry today trend to choice of a specialty not aquiring overall better knowledge of all aspectects pertaining to a fully functioning or malfunctioning fueling facility.

Training and for lack of a better anology "The old days" when systems were simple allowed mastering of the craft in a relatively short period of time. As a industry today many completely experienced service personnel can be as with finding a rare bird. It does seem as if know one really wants to get their hands dirty these days.

If one is lucky enough to survive to old timer elite status in this industry you have done so by beating the survival odds of working in what for some less lucky was a chemically hostile and dangerious environment.

Ironically in the old days trainers thought learning from your mistakes as they backed off chuckling was the best path for those younger or inexperienced. While blowing yourself up definitely defined ones future action and attention to protocol today things are much different. There are times even today when I might hesitate to advise but don't a smart ass trainee not to unscrew a leak detector without releaving or double checking associated line pressure.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Long days and long nights no matter what ones chosen profession tend to shorten life spans. Add to that a hostile environment and life and a career becomes even shorter.

Being brutably honest when working with or under moronic or incompetent management is an even better way of shortening ones career in any service industry. We all have delt with morons telling us what or how and or why. It gets to a point where your best to be in business for ones self or reinvent need for gained and invaluable experience in related areas such as QC.

There are areas in this industry where your tallents combined with age can provide income and appreciations.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

petroman2015
Pump Jockey

Post by petroman2015 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:21 pm

You had to bring up about the LEAK DETECTOR lemon....Oh how I know about that...lets put the cherry ontop..Close the shear valve when pulling or replacing a filter..Right..we all know and knew about that BUT experience says check it and make sure it is REALLY closed.... :roll: