I Think I'll Smoke Near the Pump...

Post pictures, video or news story links here pertaining to disasters, explosions or accidents at gas stations.
Samir
Head Tech

I Think I'll Smoke Near the Pump...

Post by Samir » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:55 pm

I'll have to post the videos from our station, but it amazes me at how many times I've had to tell people not to smoke near the pumps.

These days I just capture them on film for evidence for legal action if the set the place on fire.

Have any good stories?
Not a technician even though it says 'Head Tech'. :?

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Re: I Think I'll Smoke Near the Pump...

Post by CherokeeUST » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:52 am

You should start a Youtube channel.

This is the story I like telling most. Probably the funniest/scary story. We had a store getting a delivery in OK. Our employee is standing with the delivery driver monitoring the delivery. It's not raining, but it's cloudy and you can tell a storm is coming.

The camera is perfect on the tank pit. Lightning hit the vent pipe, during the delivery. Flames shoot up from the vapors escaping the vent pipe. Fire is shooting 10 feet up out of the vent pipe. The store employee looked like an Olympic sprinter! The lightning was his starting pistol. He is GONE!! We had to replay it back to see him leave the picture. He looked like Wile E Coyote with his legs spinning in the air, then he got traction and he was outta there. The delivery driver turned like he was going to run also, then you can see he get's his thoughts back in order. He runs to the truck and shuts off the fuel flow and the fire went out.

For some reason we never could get the video to work right. It always played in fast forward. Which was still funny.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 am

CherokeeUST wrote:You should start a Youtube channel.

This is the story I like telling most. Probably the funniest/scary story. We had a store getting a delivery in OK. Our employee is standing with the delivery driver monitoring the delivery. It's not raining, but it's cloudy and you can tell a storm is coming.

The camera is perfect on the tank pit. Lightning hit the vent pipe, during the delivery. Flames shoot up from the vapors escaping the vent pipe. Fire is shooting 10 feet up out of the vent pipe. The store employee looked like an Olympic sprinter! The lightning was his starting pistol. He is GONE!! We had to replay it back to see him leave the picture. He looked like Wile E Coyote with his legs spinning in the air, then he got traction and he was outta there. The delivery driver turned like he was going to run also, then you can see he get's his thoughts back in order. He runs to the truck and shuts off the fuel flow and the fire went out.

For some reason we never could get the video to work right. It always played in fast forward. Which was still funny.
Wow. That had to be scary. Being close to a lightning strike is bad enough, but with fuel vapors in the air--yikes! :shock:

I think the best one I have so far is the guy who went back to the pump 3 times to talk to his buddies while they fueled up. I finally told them that either their friend needs to smoke away from the pump or they need to fuel up somewhere else. They looked at me like I was the problem, grumbling about 'what's the big deal' and then finishing up and leaving.

I've actually got a lot more videos from belligerant Chickfila customers and employees who do all sorts of crazy things when I point to the signs that say '5 Minute Chevron Customer Parking Only' and 'No Chickfila Parking'. It's flat out amazing. We have a tow truck company we work with now so some of those videos are even better--like the guys who left a Mercedes Sprinter van parked across all 5 of our front parking spots and then left. Once the tow truck showed up, they were sprinting all right--back to our place to tell me how our rules were 'stupid'. Two police patrol cars had to come for that one...

I plan to set up a blog for these at some point when I have enough time. CFA management doesn't do anything since it benefits them while we have excess wear and tear on our property, more trash to deal with, and more liability. We even had a CFA customer hit our own personal car that was parked causing over $3000 in damage. It's really nuts. And add this on top of the duty of running a business, and one that has significant regulations to always monitor from fuel to tobacco to alcohol, and it's an a real burden. In legal terms it's known as a 'private nuisance' and is actionable...when I get time. Documentation is the first step.

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:31 pm

My wife sent me this video which I wish I would have thought about doing...although I would have needed a gun for when the idiots would have tried to attack me for dusting them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDI-SSOAk68

donkishot

Post by donkishot » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:52 am

Hi Samir, thanks for sharing the video, I can't understand how people are not following the rules and smoking in gas stations. :o
It's only based on my personal opinion.
https://gasstation-nearme.com/

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 am

A little extreme. Station operators always have the option to not approve the dispensing of fuel at one or all of the dispensers. It's called "pump stop all" The site owner pointing and discharging fire retardent at a customer without there actually being a fire could end up with an assualt charge.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they begin looking forward to the trip"

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:28 am

donkishot wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:52 am
Hi Samir, thanks for sharing the video, I can't understand how people are not following the rules and smoking in gas stations. :o
I can't either, especially when they are liable for the damage and a pump alone costs as much as a car. :o

Because something like this would definitely result in an insurance claim, I checked with our carrier how something like this is handled. It's on the customer's insurance, except here's the best part--IF THE CUSTOMER RUNS AWAY AND DOESN'T GET CAUGHT IT'S ON THE STATION OWNER'S INSURANCE. :evil:

So being proactive at keeping idiots away from your pumps is a wise business move, assault charge or not. I've used the stop pump method before to run off a group of idiots after I told the guy 3 times to stop standing there at the pump smoking and told their friends to tell him too. Some people don't respect laws--city, state, or nature. :evil: :shock: They can get their fuel elsewhere and blow up someone else's station...