Loves Disaster in Memphis, Indiana

Post pictures, video or news story links here pertaining to disasters, explosions or accidents at gas stations.
cstoredude
Pump Jockey

Loves Disaster in Memphis, Indiana

Post by cstoredude » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:44 pm

Anybody else just hearing about this? Looks like they pumped 13,000 gallons of diesel into the ground in Memphis, Indiana. How the *(^^&& could that happen and nobody notices? Apparently it took some civilian noticing diesel in a stream a mile away to figure out there was this massive leak? There are so many mechanisms in place to prevent exactly this kind of situation from occurring, what the heck could be going on there?

https://www.wlky.com/article/diesel-fue ... s/39165851#

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Re: Loves Disaster in Memphis, Indiana

Post by CherokeeUST » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:50 pm

That is crazy. Surely they've figured out where it originated by now.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

cstoredude
Pump Jockey

Post by cstoredude » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:57 am

I bet it has something to do with that system they use that pressure fills the underground tanks, and they don't want to admit it.

We all know that they would've found the leak by now.

We all know that with all of the normal safeguards in place and equal enforcement of the regulations, this wouldn't have happened.

Goofy4TheWorld
Head Tech

Post by Goofy4TheWorld » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:52 am

Below is from https://www.in.gov/idem/cleanups/sites- ... l-stop-55/

March 10, 2022 Update

The spill response at the Love’s Travel Stop 355 in Memphis continues. The expanse of the response has been reduced to the facility and off-site impacts in the unnamed tributary leading to Silver Creek. Response activities on Silver Creek have concluded with no visible petroleum or sheen being observed. As a precautionary measure, containment boom is being maintained where the unnamed tributary enters Silver Creek along with numerous containment measures within the unnamed tributary to capture spilled diesel. Spill contractors and environmental consultants continue to cleanup impacts to the unnamed tributary, investigate the extent of subsurface impacts, and implement control measures to prevent the infiltration and discharge of diesel fuel from the subsurface to the facility’s underground stormwater collection pipes that discharge to the unnamed tributary. Love’s continues integrity testing of the UST system to ensure the failure point(s) are identified and repaired. Due to the age and size of the system, this testing is proving difficult. To date, IDEM has not authorized Love’s to resume dispensing diesel fuel.

So are they really saying they have not found the leak, and are having a hard time doing testing!? What on Earth could this be saying, aren't they testing lines every year?

Goofy4TheWorld
Head Tech

Post by Goofy4TheWorld » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:56 am

cstoredude wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:57 am
We all know that with all of the normal safeguards in place and equal enforcement of the regulations, this wouldn't have happened.
After re-reading this line, it makes me wonder if the slow trickle of information might be Indiana's UST division performing CYA protocol.

cstoredude
Pump Jockey

Post by cstoredude » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:13 am

And, if you search for "Love's Travel Memphis Indiana" on Facebook, you'll come across a conversation where a driver makes it clear that the Love's employees knew they had a leak for the past 9 months.

cstoredude
Pump Jockey

Post by cstoredude » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:44 am

It's amazing to me that this is supposedly the forum for professionals in the petroleum industry. The way everybody seems to understand that the Love's system is illegal, but nobody is brave enough to do their job and put an end to it. How many more gallons of fuel and how many more dead fish and wildlife will it take? Every time I discuss this with a regulator, they agree, then do nothing about it.

AnnahMayah

Post by AnnahMayah » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:55 pm

cstoredude wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:13 am
https://filmyonline.eu/
And, if you search for "Love's Travel Memphis Indiana" on Facebook, you'll come across a conversation where a driver makes it clear that the Love's employees knew they had a leak for the past 9 months.
Yes. I saw that