commander not compatible with franken waynes

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
jberthi2
Head Tech

commander not compatible with franken waynes

Post by jberthi2 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:38 am

Attempted a commander install at a site with old franken waynes (wayne heads on gilbarco bodies), comms worked fine but dispensers would not pump. Found the Franken waynes use submersible pump controller, no hooks to building, ugh. SPC is not compatible with commander so had to abort install and reinstall their old ruby system. After doing some more investigating found the dispensers have at least 3 extra wires to building and will have to repin the molex connectors on dispenser driver boards since their is no wires connected to the hook pins 1, 4, 14. Problem is I need a service manual that shows wiring diagrams for franken wayne to make it easier to figure out which wires i can splice in to to get to the jbox below.

skonley
Head Tech

Re: commander not compatible with franken waynes

Post by skonley » Wed May 22, 2019 5:18 pm

get rid of speedpass - use those data wires. they were originally the switch legs anyway
Be alert - we need more lerts!

stuppid
Head Tech

Post by stuppid » Wed May 22, 2019 11:17 pm

Yes use the Wayne Trac wires. The terminals for hooks should be hot in the jbox. If they're not find the wire coming off of the relay board. Easy peasy. Wayne Trac repurposed the hook wires for comm wires. The relay board still outputs power. Just find the wires.

jberthi2
Head Tech

Post by jberthi2 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:38 am

No speed pass or wayne trac. This model of dispensers came with the wayne spc because there are no hook wires coming off the relay board. J1 and j2 hook pins have no wires connected to them. They have spare wires going to building though, but I will have to add pins to the J1 and J2 connectors and splice to spare wires going down to main jbox, but their are a lot of wire to ohm out to figure out which is which. These dispensers are old gilbarco bodies with wayne duplex II computers that interface to the gilbarco Barrel connectors.

skonley
Head Tech

Post by skonley » Thu May 23, 2019 11:26 pm

lol - what would be the purpose of having a SPC if you didn't have Speedpass? Unfortunately, in a past life I worked on those pumps all the time. I know exactly what giant Barrel connector you are referring to. That said I used to have the pin out diagram, but that was many many moons ago. Just thinking out loud here, but did you try to hook up the data wires from the SPC to the Current loop board in the FCI? I had a site we did with a SFC and VFI said it wouldn't work but it did. Technically the SPC is inherently addressed as pump 30 - in these parts we commonly referred to the SPC as the 30 box. I don't think the Commander needs to actually know the SPC is present, the SPC just needs to be part of the pump loop to sense if any pump is calling.

jberthi2
Head Tech

Post by jberthi2 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:57 am

skonley wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:26 pm
lol - what would be the purpose of having a SPC if you didn't have Speedpass? Unfortunately, in a past life I worked on those pumps all the time. I know exactly what giant Barrel connector you are referring to. That said I used to have the pin out diagram, but that was many many moons ago. Just thinking out loud here, but did you try to hook up the data wires from the SPC to the Current loop board in the FCI? I had a site we did with a SFC and VFI said it wouldn't work but it did. Technically the SPC is inherently addressed as pump 30 - in these parts we commonly referred to the SPC as the 30 box. I don't think the Commander needs to actually know the SPC is present, the SPC just needs to be part of the pump loop to sense if any pump is calling.
I did connect the spc to one of the channels on the fci, nothing happened. Do I need to program a pump 30 on the commander, can I? I was thinking the 2400 EC communicated to the SPC. Finally someone who is familiar with this, thanks.

skonley
Head Tech

Post by skonley » Mon May 27, 2019 8:52 am

Putting pump 30 on the Commander ain't gonna work - you can only have 16 FPs per board and that SPC needs to be in the same loop as the other pumps. Best bet is your original idea of ohming out that giant connector. Other option is to run a custom conduit into the head from the jbox - I've seen this before, obviously not ideal but can be done safely.

3rdrock
Head Tech

Post by 3rdrock » Thu May 30, 2019 2:26 pm

skonley wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:26 pm
lol - what would be the purpose of having a SPC if you didn't have Speedpass? Unfortunately, in a past life I worked on those pumps all the time. I know exactly what giant Barrel connector you are referring to. That said I used to have the pin out diagram, but that was many many moons ago.
I agree with you. I did 95% of the phase 1&2 in south Florida and don’t remember the pinout either.
However there was a old Mobil that was changed to a Citgo and I put back all the switch legs and removed the SPC box and my old boss yelled at me. :o He liked the SPC box for troubleshooting. :?: I was told never to remove one again.
I just never told him I did it again. :twisted:

podczaski
Head Tech

Post by podczaski » Fri May 31, 2019 11:14 am

If the Commander will recognize fp 30 internally, then the SPC should work. I am basing this on old Mobil to Sunoco conversions a few years back. I know the Sapphire worked with it, but have not had any with Commander. Even without a schematic, a little time and effort and a multi-meter it should not be that hard to figure out the hook signals off of the solenoid drive bd. It might also be that the Commander does not recognize the duplex computer software fully for the Franken Waynes. If I remember there was a very specific version you had to use. I am sure there is documentation that will tell you one way or the other if it works.

jberthi2
Head Tech

Post by jberthi2 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:54 am

Thanks for the replies. I have the pinouts for the driver boards, pins 1, 4, 7 off of J1 and J2. But good news, they've decided to move up their new pump install to January and they are going to wait for the commander to be installed at that time.