2 Wire Conversion options for EMV

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
TNE
Head Tech

2 Wire Conversion options for EMV

Post by TNE » Wed May 01, 2019 7:04 am

Digging into alternatives for the 2 wire solutions for EMV comms. Both Gilbarco and Wayne offerings are geared to the media delivery, which we don't need. I've seen a listing by Patton, that has each dispenser on it's own run, which is nice. Also looking at Avalan, a very simple, but wireless option. Does anyone have any experience with either, or something else, or is everyone just going with what Wayne and Gilbarco sell?

Thanks

spby52
Pump Jockey

Re: 2 Wire Conversion options for EMV

Post by spby52 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:18 am

I think your going to be restricted by the network provider or firewall you will be using as far as EMV out doors....so far this is what we have seen...
Patrick

TNE
Head Tech

Post by TNE » Wed May 01, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm specifically talking about the Ethernet connection from the dispensers to inside the building, before it gets to a router/firewall. CAT5 is ideal, but not realistic at many sites.

JohnnyP
Head Tech

Post by JohnnyP » Wed May 01, 2019 6:06 pm

What Gilbarco has is basically DSL over a twisted pair. EMV transaction require faster communications then what is offered over the traditional 2-wire.

bigbadjohn
Head Tech

Post by bigbadjohn » Thu May 02, 2019 5:59 am

There's no technical reason why any system that converts back and forth from TCP/IP to any form of communication capable of traveling over 2 wires can't be used.

Communication is encrypted between pay at pump and network so security shouldn't be an issue either.

That said, anyone doing an EMV audit isn't going to want to see oddball devices, reliable devices with UL approvals aren't going to be significantly cheaper than the mainstream offerings and you won't have to worry about the dispenser manufacturer voiding warranty because you wired a device they didn't manufacture in with their electronics. The instinct of every technician working on any problem will be to blame the oddball device and thy won't have any spares to use for testing/repair.

My opinion, you can do it but don't.
Red Green "If it moves and shouldn’t: duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should: WD-40."

petrodood1
Head Tech

Post by petrodood1 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:43 pm

With Wayne you can use 1 wayne connect server (IP-485-S) box inside and 1 wayne connect dispenser box (IP-485-D) in each dispenser, they work with or without media.. I have them in some new dispensers that don't have IOTV.
Are you here to raise the prices?

I thought it would work even though the sign said "OUT OF ORDER"

It's come to me over the years that orange cones are idiot attractants.. :P

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm

petrodood1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:43 pm
With Wayne you can use 1 wayne connect server (IP-485-S) box inside and 1 wayne connect dispenser box (IP-485-D) in each dispenser, they work with or without media.. I have them in some new dispensers that don't have IOTV.
depending on the POS you may need more than one Wayne connect server inside.
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

TNE
Head Tech

Post by TNE » Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 am

I still have nightmares of the first few years of dealing with the Fusion. Allied makes a wireless solution that looks too simple, and can be used for either Wayne or Gilbarco. May look at testing half of a site once we start beta testing Shell.

3rdrock
Head Tech

Post by 3rdrock » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 pm

I will know about AvaLAN shortly. We have 1 site coming up and I will let you know how it goes. :?:
I just did a search and found both post about AvaLAN. :shock:

TNE wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:04 am
Digging into alternatives for the 2 wire solutions for EMV comms. Both Gilbarco and Wayne offerings are geared to the media delivery, which we don't need. I've seen a listing by Patton, that has each dispenser on it's own run, which is nice. Also looking at Avalan, a very simple, but wireless option. Does anyone have any experience with either, or something else, or is everyone just going with what Wayne and Gilbarco sell?

Thanks

jjames
Head Tech

Post by jjames » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:40 pm

TNE wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 am
I still have nightmares of the first few years of dealing with the Fusion. Allied makes a wireless solution that looks too simple, and can be used for either Wayne or Gilbarco. May look at testing half of a site once we start beta testing Shell.
Have you used the Allied solution yet? It is easy to setup, but you basically need direct line of site for them to work.