MX915 Pinpad High Chip Reader Error Rate

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
daydream
Pump Jockey

MX915 Pinpad High Chip Reader Error Rate

Post by daydream » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:31 am

Hi Everyone,

I have a Dual RubyCi POS system installed at my site with dual MX915 pinpads. I am a CITGO branded retailer.

A week or so ago... I had one of my MX915 pinpads give a "Maintainence Required -UT" message. This pinpad was also starting to give a very high rate of EMV chip card reader errors (whereby the pinpad instructs the customers to use their magnetic strip because it wont read the card's chip properly) before this message came up. I called my local Jones and Frank tech out to the site. He said the pinpad had to be replaced so we had a new pinpad installed and the tech left the site.

My question is as follows: We are getting a very high rate of chip reader errors on this new pinpad as well. I would say it only reads the chip properly for 1 out of every 8 cards... What can I do to fix this problem?

I have tried cleaning the new pinpad with card reader cleaning cards... I have rebooted it... I even tried reseating it on its stand... but nothing seems to be helping the issue... Only thing left from the old pinpad is the old pinpad stand.... but would replacing that help any?

Is there anything else that I could try...

Any input is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

dmcginnis89
Head Tech

Re: MX915 Pinpad High Chip Reader Error Rate

Post by dmcginnis89 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:36 am

Verifone sends out rebuilt pin pads, and verifone rebuilt items are notorious for not being rebuilt correctly.

may want to call J&F back out and see what they can do. Rebuilt items have a 90 day warranty, i believe.

daydream
Pump Jockey

Post by daydream » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:57 am

Thanks for the input dmcginnis89.

I'll call J&F again and ask them to send a tech out to look at this.

eagle1
Head Tech

Post by eagle1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:09 am

We have 2- topaz with commander mx915 on HPS and we also have have a high rate of failures lately.

chattted with verifone and they said 10-20% failures are more due to customer cards being faulty, 50% would show a problem with mx915. (even though same card goes through next day no problem)

Some transactions fail and there will be a message in message center on Topaz showing (SHIFT MODE) after awhile it will show (NORMAL MODE) and then its fine. VERIFONE & VASQ both said they have never seen this or have any literature on it.

Seems to be at peak times of day, almost like the processor's cant handle all the high rate of ECC's, sort of bottleneck.

Rustymich
Pump Jockey

Post by Rustymich » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:32 pm

dmcginnis89 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:36 am
Verifone sends out rebuilt pin pads, and verifone rebuilt items are notorious for not being rebuilt correctly.

may want to call J&F back out and see what they can do. Rebuilt items have a 90 day warranty, i believe.
I agree parts should be covered within the warranty period but labor is not, maybe best to call first.

fossilfueler
Head Tech

Post by fossilfueler » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:59 pm

eagle1 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:09 am

Some transactions fail and there will be a message in message center on Topaz showing (SHIFT MODE) after awhile it will show (NORMAL MODE) and then its fine. VERIFONE & VASQ both said they have never seen this or have any literature on it.
SHIFT MODE and NORMAL MODE have nothing to do with card processing. Those two messages refer to how the letters you type on the physical keyboard below the screen will appear. SHIFT MODE = lower case letters, NORMAL MODE = CAPITAL LETTERS. You change this by pressing the blue SUSPEND/SHIFT key on the left of the keyboard. There's also a third mode called SPECIAL which does special secondary characters assigned to those keys. This functionality has been present since the old legacy Ruby.
RTFM

dctech
Head Tech

Post by dctech » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:02 pm

Have you called the network, of Verifone to see if they can check the log files? They may be able to narrow down what is causing the errors.

eagle1
Head Tech

Post by eagle1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:23 am

fossilfueler wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:59 pm
eagle1 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:09 am

SHIFT MODE and NORMAL MODE have nothing to do with card processing. Those two messages refer to how the letters you type on the physical keyboard below the screen will appear. SHIFT MODE = lower case letters, NORMAL MODE = CAPITAL LETTERS. You change this by pressing the blue SUSPEND/SHIFT key on the left of the keyboard. There's also a third mode called SPECIAL which does special secondary characters assigned to those keys. This functionality has been present since the old legacy Ruby.
these MODES are changing to and and from without any human interaction at all. This all coincides with card failures, also during these It has at least 2 times halted a Pay at Pump transaction and converted it to pay in side with error triangle on Topaz saying something about "takeover". (and not a card takeover)

I have seen on system message log that this has happened in the middle of the night when no one is around.

It also is pretty alarming that Verifone helpdesk and VASQ didn't know the (MODES) even with picture shown.

eagle1
Head Tech

Post by eagle1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:56 am

Error rate got worse.

New Pinpad fixed it completely.