need some creative advice here

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
kellythedog
Head Tech

need some creative advice here

Post by kellythedog » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:07 am

I have a site, Gilbarco 500S, full serve with Crind
they have an issue with customers driving up and starting to fuel themselves before the attendant can get to the pump. In this area customers are not allowed to fuel themselves...
We used to have the site set up as self serve, and someone inside would look outside and just not authorize the sale until the full serve person arrived at the pump. But... because of Covid-19 its just not profitable to have a dedicated person inside all the time.( sales slump) So the outside full serve attendant splits his time between performing Fuel duty but also other things around the store. He cant be outside all the time just waiting for cars to show up.
Aside from a padlock through the lever hole in the boot to stop people from lifting the nozzle, anyone have some other idea that doesn't void Gilbarco warranty to stop guests from fueling themselves?
if it was working before you got there...and now its not...its likely something you did that broke it.

HWE
Head Tech

Re: need some creative advice here

Post by HWE » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:23 am

The solution will probably depend on your POS.
Some|most|all(?) will have a full serve mode that will require the attendant to sign in at the dispenser in order to authorize the FP.
The sign in can be based on a session (dispenser stays authorized until attendant signs out) and/or transaction (attendant must sign in for each transaction).

lostincanadianboy
Pump Jockey

Post by lostincanadianboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:47 am

you need attendant's cards

kellythedog
Head Tech

Post by kellythedog » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 pm

ok, i am learning something here which is good since I'm not familiar with a sign in at the dispenser nor an attendant card.
certainly this POS system doesn't have that capability.
So now i'm curious what POS has this capability(and i can research it) and how exactly does that work.
i'd like to know more if someone has the time to let me know.
if it was working before you got there...and now its not...its likely something you did that broke it.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:02 am

Keep dispensers individually in pump stop mode at POS?
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

bigbadjohn
Head Tech

Post by bigbadjohn » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Install a keyed switch in one leg of the nozzle boot switch, until the key is inserted and turned on the pump won't see the nozzle lift and won't reset.

If you don't want a hole in the bezel there are ways to get them out of the electronics cabinet.
Red Green "If it moves and shouldn’t: duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should: WD-40."

kellythedog
Head Tech

Post by kellythedog » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:41 pm

thanks badjohn, thats the first thing that popped into my head,

i think the solution is a switch attached inside at the paper tray drawer breaking the flapper detect circuit.
that way no holes, and the attendant already has a key for the paper tray door anyway.
or
a battery powered remote relay with the battery pack ty-wrapped to the paper tray, then the attendant can carry a little remote with him.
i just thought maybe there was some other way.
too bad GVR doesn't offer an attendant switch option.
thanks everyone.

3rdrock
Head Tech

Post by 3rdrock » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:44 pm

In the late 80’s, an olde timer told me Gilbarco had something like a remote to authorize the full service dispenser at an Exxon in south Flori-duh. He showed it to me while on site.

Time to bring it back. :lol:

or a battery powered remote relay with the battery pack ty-wrapped to the paper tray, then the attendant can carry a little remote with him.[/quote wrote:

pumpman21

Post by pumpman21 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:35 am

What system does your site have? If verifone, under dcr site configuration pretty sure you can check approve all sales thus making the attendant still have to approve the sale if they try to swipe a card outside

javamelt
Head Tech

Post by javamelt » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:06 am

Are you asking about cash and credit or just about cash?
So you work 40 hour weeks, I remember my first part time job! :lol: