Electrical noise

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
balagogineni
Pump Jockey

Electrical noise

Post by balagogineni » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:00 am

I have a Mobil gas station with Gilbarco 700S dispensers, Ruby 2 Ci and cybera 315 router and EMV is not activated. Every summer since these equiment was installed three years back when the outside temerature goes above 90 degrees F, the register displays random "8's either in the gallons or total amount for fuel purchases only. For example, if the gas dispensed amount is $20.20 the amount charged could be 20.20, or 820.20, or 820.28 and similarly, if the gallons are 7, the recipt at the register could show 7.00, 7.08, 87 or 87.08 or 87.88. The dispenser displays the correct amount. But the customer is charged the wrong amount. The technicians so far don't have an answer. There is no problem for inside purchases. Any help would be appreciated before I replace theregister.
Bala Gogineni (847) 899-6457

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Re: Electrical noise

Post by 1onemarty » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:08 pm

I suspect the register power supply is overheating. Anybody tried the Power supply yet?
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

balagogineni
Pump Jockey

Post by balagogineni » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Thanks. The technicians tried everything else for the last three years and finally recommended to replace control cables with Cat V cables. The existing UPS is Powervar ABCEG251-11. I will replace the UPS with a higher capacity ~600VA. I can't find Powervar ABCEG411-11. So, I will have to go with either APC or Cyberpower.

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Post by 1onemarty » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 am

Not the Backup Power Supply, the register Power Supply.
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

RossD
Head Tech

Post by RossD » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:39 pm

So are we going to replace the CI power supply or the Ruby 2 power supply, or do we have a dispenser sending in the wrong info? Does this only happen on one fueling point or one dispenser or on all of them, how many dispensers do you have?
:roll:

balagogineni
Pump Jockey

Post by balagogineni » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:30 am

We have four dispensers and the problem occurs with all four. Dispensers display the correct amount at the dispensers. There is only one power supply (powervar abceg251-11) and one adapter (Verifone) to the register and commander. Since the problem occurs only on very hot days, I suspect the line voltage dip may be the cause and the ups or the adapter may under capacity or one of them is malfunctioning.

dctech
Head Tech

Post by dctech » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:24 pm

Call an electrician, and have them check that all of the POS, and dispensers are on the same phase, and that there is no building AC equipment that is in the same electrical panel. They should be able to monitor the electrical to see if the power is dropping on hot days

balagogineni
Pump Jockey

Post by balagogineni » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:03 pm

We have two phase supply and the building ac uses both phases. All the rest of the loads including pos, dispensers canopy and building lights are on the same phase (except cooler). It is too late for this year to check for voltage drop as the weather turned cooler. I will have the electrician check voltage drop ext year if the problem is recurring. The Verifone pos Ruby2/CI uses one ups 200w to supply power to ruby2, commander, cybera router etc. Anyway, as the ups is three years old, I am thinking of replacing with larger capacity UPS. Any recommendations? Thanks

balagogineni
Pump Jockey

Post by balagogineni » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:11 am

An additional note, the electrician moved all control cables from power panel to a separate panel and the problem still occurred. And the problem occurred even after the ac was shut.