HOW do i access safely? Calling all rock climbers

Forum for construction, service and general office safety comments and questions.
FieldEngineered
Pump Jockey

HOW do i access safely? Calling all rock climbers

Post by FieldEngineered » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:33 pm

https://goo.gl/photos/PMjNaXei68rsCZBK7

Link has the photos. Hard to explain without showing you.

Gonna leave the insults and expletives out of this one.
I've got a simple problem:

Contractor installed the piping with the secondary termination about 40 feet up a wall inside a basement. Testing must prove communication by pressurizing the like from one end and showing inspector the air release out of the other.

How do I show this?

More imporantly, these lines feed a boiler. Guess who also left the #@*~! Ball valves closed? Up by the ceiling...

How do I open them and get this boiler running again?

MOST importantly,
How do I do this safely? The water tank cannot be taken out of service and watch the look around video a couple times- there's no straight shot to get up to the penetration. It was installed before any of the equipment was in place. :cry:

Go go gadget suction shoes!

ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: HOW do i access safely? Calling all rock climbers

Post by ZMiller » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:15 pm

You don't. You call the Bambino's when the circus is in town have them preform their human pyramid act for the inspector when on site. Or call the installing contractor to be on site with the appropriate climbing gear for testing. Better yet call the consulting supervising construction engineers who signed off on the final. But first get a sign that reads "EMERGENCY SHUT OFF VALVE" Get a long pole or a drone and hang the sign(s) on the valve(s). Personally I would paste an "Emergency Shut Off" or "Free Air" sticker with an arrow pointing up.

Since when do you work in engine rooms aboard aircraft carriers?
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

FieldEngineered
Pump Jockey

Post by FieldEngineered » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:02 pm

ZMiller wrote:You don't. You call the Bambino's when the circus is in town have them preform their human pyramid act for the inspector when on site. Or call the installing contractor to be on site with the appropriate climbing gear for testing. Better yet call the consulting supervising construction engineers who signed off on the final. But first get a sign that reads "EMERGENCY SHUT OFF VALVE" Get a long pole or a drone and hang the sign(s) on the valve(s). Personally I would paste an "Emergency Shut Off" or "Free Air" sticker with an arrow pointing up.

Since when do you work in engine rooms aboard aircraft carriers?
Haha I'm seriously considering mounting a couple rungs of ladder or handholds at a time along with carabiner clips so that I can safely tie off as I scale up.
All jokes aside, rock climbing gear at least has verifiable install specs that I can install with a wedge anchor.

And frankly, I trust Bambino's more than anyone involved in making this little gem happen.

Maybe, I put a big sign that says:

ESO VALVE: IN CASE OF EMERGENCY LOOK UP AND JUMP REAL HIGH

rmurray
Head Tech

Post by rmurray » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Have you thought about finding a radioactive spider?

whittingtonm
Head Tech

Post by whittingtonm » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:59 am

What is over the ceiling? Is there a way to cut an access hatch and go down instead of up?

FieldEngineered
Pump Jockey

Post by FieldEngineered » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:14 pm

whittingtonm wrote:What is over the ceiling? Is there a way to cut an access hatch and go down instead of up?

HA! There's the bright idea I was waiting for! that'd be way easier. Not sure what's up there exactly because this is a third floor basement and the tank is in the loading dock, but at least we know the piping slopes back to the tank from the penetration. I'll look into that! thanks man