Browsers and extensions

Forum news, tips, updates and highlights from the forum and the PEI website.
CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Browsers and extensions

Post by CherokeeUST » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 am

This isn't really related to PEI stuff.

I use Chrome and several extensions when I browse the net, I was wondering what you think of extensions that block ads and keep you from having to click to advance pages.

I use 3 ad blockers with Chrome, so I never see ads on the web. And I use Autopagerize so I don't have to click to get to the next page of a conversation in the forums.

I'm not going to quit doing it, I just wondered what you thought?

I know a lot of people who make money off of clicks hate it, but there aren't a lot of people who are tech savvy enough to know how to avoid these ads. Am I ripping them off?
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

whittingtonm
Head Tech

Re: Browsers and extensions

Post by whittingtonm » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:06 am

Yes, but only if they don't know you can do it?

jswartz

Re: Browsers and extensions

Post by jswartz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:15 pm

Some good blog sites I visit ask that you disable your add blockers for their site specifically which with the better extensions you can do, and imho it's worth doing to help support good sites. That being said I also evaluate how much I trust the site and add service they use. Some add applets are careful about serving up adds that attempt to do malicious things and generally decent sites will use a trustworthy add supplier. Sketchy sites however may very well use add suppliers who are less than reputable and this is generally where you are more likely to get a drive by infection.

Some blogger throws a little square add applet on the side no biggie. 20 popup adds block my view of the site... yea I'm going to use add blocker.