Filling tank off of another tank with sub pump.

UST, service station, bulk plant, car wash, commercial refueling installation, design and construction.
cstoredude
Pump Jockey

Re: Filling tank off of another tank with sub pump.

Post by cstoredude » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:02 pm

Sounds like they have just been "getting away with it" to me.

mwtoupin
Pump Jockey

Post by mwtoupin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:56 am

I build fuel systems for E-gen systems. This is a typical scenario for those systems but the comment about AST's having an E-vent is the key. There is no way that can get plugged and cause the tank to become over pressurized. UST's, even steel ones, are not capable of withstanding the pressure that could build in a vent failure scenario. One of your questions was about the overfill tube, and yes there are pressure overfill drop tubes for this type of tank fill. But I am 99.99% sure they are not listed for UST installations because the tank could over pressurize before the tank is full and they shut off the inflow. So in my opinion this is a formula for disaster and consequently would refuse to build it unless there is some type of failsafe overpressure protection built in, i.e. an emergency vent.
:geek: Mike

cstoredude
Pump Jockey

Post by cstoredude » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Obviously this is an illegal practice, without question.

UST manufacturers state DO NOT PRESSURE FILL.

Federal regulations require installers to comply with manufacturer installation guidelines.

The real question is when will a regulator stand up and enforce these regulations?

If they can choose not to enforce these regulations, why can they enforce any of them?

hardworking
Head Tech

Post by hardworking » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:43 am

While I love to be a "field engineer", this (IMO) requires a PE to design the system. There are many considerations (as the members have stated) and a PE would carry the insurance for design mistakes that a petroleum contractor most likely would not.