SEVERE STP corrosion internally on Diesel

Discuss underground storage tank regulations and compliance issues.
bugbuster
Pump Jockey

Re: SEVERE STP corrosion internally on Diesel

Post by bugbuster » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Some years ago, the WV Dept. of Weights and Measures reported an epidemic of tank lining failures. In UST in which the lining had peeled away from the tank shell, in sheets, the side of the coating that had previously been in contact with the coating was covered with mold growth.

When coatings develop tiny holes - "holidays" - water and microbes can make their way between the coating and coated surface (note here that in this particular case, I am using "coating" and "lining" interchangeably; the purists know that there are differences). Once settled into this cozy space they can grow into substantial masses that debond the lining from the shell.

Root cause analysis lead to the conclusion that inadequate surface preparation had led to the subsequent debonding problems. I suspect that lining aging could also have been a contributing factor. Over time, erosion and chemical reactions with fuel can degrade lining integrity. It's called entropy.

Have I mentioned that this sort of microbial activity is one of the reasons I love bein a microbiologist.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 pm

The little guys become like family in a way.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

This one is hard to figure out.

Post by ZMiller » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 am

One wonders how fuel refined in Czechoslovakia ends up in a diesel generators fuel storage tank in Chicago, Illinois.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they begin looking forward to the trip"

bugbuster
Pump Jockey

Post by bugbuster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:48 am

Back in the 70's we (the consulting company for whom I worked) had the opportunity to fingerprint fuel spilled from the Argo Merchant. Within four weeks after the ship sank, the fuel had changed (degraded) so substantially that it bore little resemblance to the original product.

Given the fungibility of fuel in the U.S. fuel market, I'm wondering how you were able to identify the product has having come from the Czech Republic (it's been some time since Czechoslovakia existed); unless the product was in a vessel's fuel tanks, and the vessel had last fueled in Europe.

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:58 am

Zane, did you see the http://www.tffa.com/events/details/2017-fuels-summit-22 is having a session 3 November, dedicated to ULSD corrosion?

1:45 - 3:00 pm
Overcoming the Diesel Fuel Tank Corrosion Epidemic
Moderator:
Scott B. Fisher, TFFA

Panelists:
John Keller, Petroleum Solutions, Inc.
Michael Thornton, D & H United Fueling Solutions
Bud Moore, Vaporless Manufacturing, Inc.
Today’s ultra-low diesel fuel is causing storage tanks to corrode at an alarming rate! When the EPA revealed the results of a recent study on the increasing presence of substantial corrosion in diesel fuel tanks, it proved that the problem is much larger than anyone anticipated.
This 75 minute session will cover:
• A history of the diesel tank corrosion problem
• Findings of the EPA study and Speculative Causes
• Liability risks for tank owners, including clean-up costs
• Solutions to mitigate corrosion and extend the life of your diesel fuel tank
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Nice to see Bud on the pannel. Smart guy and working for nice people over at Vaporless. Maybe some enlightenment on the problem will be thought forward.

Helps to remain optimistic but I'm afraid serious discussions on the subject have become fruitless.

The point has well passed for resolving corrosion problems in existing tanks exibiting issues and more than 10 years old.

Glass and steel tank fuel storage infrastructures are failing, unreported and unprecedented in number.

When a customer asks why the integrity of a reletively new tank or major fueling system component fails do to corrosion of a bung, a bulkhead, or a pump motor column it's getting harder to answer without sarcasticly implying that they have not been paying attention, have poor maintenance procedures or have because of simple minded ignorance not heeded warnings.