Overfill Prevention test

Underground storage tank regulations, compliance issues and news from EPA OUST, ASTSWMO, CALCUPA and state regulatory agencies.
SWMaint.corp
Pump Jockey

Overfill Prevention test

Post by SWMaint.corp » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:23 pm

What is everyone doing with the newly required overfill prevention testing? IN CA
A majority of our sites we cannot get Phil-tite spill buckets out without breaking concrete. Most of the sites we cannot get tank charts to verify locations. Trussco, Jorr, Owens Coning. Is everyone installing testable drop tubes? OPW buckets are breaking when we are trying to remove nipples.
How is everyone dealing with new testing forms?
I understand that this is a EPA requirement are we the only ones struggling with this? If the drop tubes would come out easily then this wouldnt be such a problem.
Any feedback welcome
JW SWM

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Re: Overfill Prevention test

Post by CherokeeUST » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:06 am

I have several locations that we have had to break concrete to get drop tubes out. They get "Welded" inplace by corrosion and won't come out.

Some states are not accepting the "testable" overfill devices.

I hope that testing them annually will stop the cycle. Most of ours have not been tested since they were installed.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:30 am

All things being basically round.

I have never had a fill tube stuck that was not removable. The problem is when somebody else destroys the tube initially in an attempt to remove it, becomes frustrated and gives up. Typically a contractor doesn't report back to the customer that a moronic attempt has destroyed any chance without breaking concrete for removing the tube.

I have had tubes that have been pinched when a riser snaps off as the tank rolled but that is easily detected just by looking down the tube for out of round. A tube shear pinched needs to remain in place or you end up with a bunch of sand or pea gravel in the tank.

There are ways to loosen stuck tubes but it often requires a contractor with patience and knowledge for just what's sticking the tube in the riser in the first place.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

SWMaint.corp
Pump Jockey

Post by SWMaint.corp » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:50 am

In CA all of our gas tank drop tubes are installed under the spill buckets. I was at a site the other day where we were trying to extract a bucket and the riser started coming out of the tank. I thought it was the riser adapter. After excavating found the riser coming out of tank.
Jeremy
JW SWM

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:21 pm

I unscrewed what I thought was a stuck fill adapter coupling and heard pea gravel falling into the tank.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"