Gravity Test

Underground storage tank regulations, compliance issues and news from EPA OUST, ASTSWMO, CALCUPA and state regulatory agencies.
pthacker
Head Tech

Gravity Test

Post by pthacker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:05 pm

We had a customer call to get pricing on pumps because the state W&M had been to their location to do a "gravity test" to find out if their mechanical dispensers were satisfactory. They were told that, after turning the pump off, that too much fuel was allowed to drain from the hose causing the mechanical computer to jump 4/10 when the dispenser and pump were turned back on. They were told that they would have to purchase new dispensers to correct this problem. I'm not sure that I was receiving completely accurate information, but it seems to me that prepay nozzles would be the practical solution to their problem.

Can someone familiar with that type of testing try to help me understand why they're being told they need to replace their pumps.

Thanks.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: Gravity Test

Post by ZMiller » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:38 pm

They need to replace with the correct double check nozzles.

The test being called the Sir Isaac Newton test attributed to the guy who invented gravity. After turning off the dispenser squeezing the single check nozzle and draining apples from the hose. Not apples.

In the old days, late Saturday night if you needed gas you went down to Simas Brothers gas station after they closed and drained all the dispenser hoses.

Good enough for at least half a gallon (13 cents worth) out of ten hoses unless somebody beat you to it. Enough to get the Moped or Vespa started and if lucky get home.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

pthacker
Head Tech

Post by pthacker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:03 am

I hear what you're saying, but why would they be telling her that she needs to replace her dispensers? To replace the nozzles is a no brainer. This is along the gulf coast, and she told me that others have been told the same thing.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:23 am

Are these glass toppers from like 1920's dispensers? One might assume we are talking late last century VR mechanical computers? Trimline or Tokheim type 11 or 1250's?

Straight dispensers older may, have 77 reset enable flow valve (poppet), air eliminator in pump or computer reset clutch float issues typically repairable without replacing the dispenser.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"