SEVERE STP corrosion internally on Diesel

Underground storage tank regulations, compliance issues and news from EPA OUST, ASTSWMO, CALCUPA and state regulatory agencies.
bugbuster
Head Tech

Re: SEVERE STP corrosion internally on Diesel

Post by bugbuster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:42 am

Installing a line's inlet at a UST's true bottom is no trivial exercise. I agree with the concept, but in my experience, bottom dead center is not a straight line. How do you determine where to place the draw?

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:00 am

The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 am

And in other late breaking news, Otto Diesel has invented a new engine based on the principles of compression ignition...

Kidding aside, thanks for sharing the link, but MIC in biodiesel tanks and lines has been an EU issue since the early 90s. What's surprising is that folks think this is surprising news.

I routinely experiences expressions of surprise when I tell people that much of my work focuses of microbial contamination and biodeterioration in fuel systems.

Slackliner89
Pump Jockey

Post by Slackliner89 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 am

Forgive me if I’m uninformed but isn’t a theory for the increase in dsl tank corrosion due to switch loading where trace amounts of gasoline containing ethanol are mixed and dropped into dsl tanks? I believe this was the article I read on this issue...

https://www.equipmentworld.com/ethanol- ... ur-diesel/

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 am

There are a number of theories in play at the moment, but precious little supportable (i.e., statistically valid) data.

Studies are in progress. Stay tuned. Let's not race to unsubstantiated conclusions. Bad enough that many stakeholders still believe that reducing diesel's sulfur content made it more susceptible to microbial contamination.
A) Diesel biodeterioration has been a recognized issue for >100 years. Awareness has waxed and waned.
B) To the extent that ULSD is more biodegradioble that LSD or HSD, the read issue is the decreased concentration of toxic aromatics. Hydrotreating diesel to get reid of sulfur aldo gets rid of aromatics (that's why more lubricity additive is needed in ULSD than in HSD).

ULSD - ultra low sulfur diesel
HSD - high sulfure diesel

Cheers,
Fred

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:29 am

The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am

The title might have been misleading, but overall I thought the article was well balanced. I was not misquoted. That's always a plus!

Slackliner89
Pump Jockey

Post by Slackliner89 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Nice article. Any suggestions for retail sites like a truck stop that uses biodiesel and is having issues with strainers and valves plugging up due to these microbes? Is the current biocide that is available sufficient or should we be looking into alternatives?

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Probably best to discuss specifics of biocide selection (your options are very limited) and use offline. I have an email hyperlink on my website (www.biodeterioration-control.com). Also, I've been writing fuel microbiology blogs since October 2016. Just getting to prevention and treatment. I'll wax poetic on prevention and treatment in my next 3 or 4 posts. Spoiler alert, there are no panaceas. One of the many reasons I love being a microbiologist is the fact that microbes can do so well in environments in which nothing else can live.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 am

Can someone preferably an expert explain this?

Diesel In-Tank ullage atmospheric Humidity -- At Fill riser 93.4% ------- At ATG riser 54.0% ------- Average 73.7%

Diesel In-Tank ullage atmospheric Temperature -- (°F) -- 54.5 -- 69.1 -- 61.8
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"