Re-Cert's versus John Doe

Current and archived opinion polls from the Petroleum Equipment Institute.
seniortech2018
Pump Jockey

Re-Cert's versus John Doe

Post by seniortech2018 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:03 am

Is it normal practice these days for the Ser mgr or Project mgr to do and take all Re-Certification's for the the Tech who is
supposed to be taking and GRASPING all the new information and so on..I MEAN if a company of 6-7 techs and the ser mgr wants to keep them out in field working instead of doing their re-certifications, where as they MIGHT be re-certified but they don't have a clue as to the new and upgraded equipment such as the NEW rebuilds going on right now and lets not forget POS systems...Then apply this to a company that has 4-5 "satellite" offices with 3-5 techs in each "satellite" office as well...

xardoz
Head Tech

Re: Re-Cert's versus John Doe

Post by xardoz » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:09 pm

No, most companies have their techs do the re-certs themselves.
If they were found not to do so, their companies could loose the ASC, ASO or VASC status
https://online.hillsdale.edu

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

seniortech2018
Pump Jockey

Post by seniortech2018 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:10 pm

No Kidding??

seniortech2018
Pump Jockey

Post by seniortech2018 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:00 pm

well....As for the OLD slang I remember as TEACHER teaches THE TEACHER he is not...But as bad as I want to speak I have to honor the fact that this is a OPINION POLL, so I hope that GB and VR are more understanding than I am...BTW I am retired and have had 30+ yrs in the field...

seniortech2018
Pump Jockey

Post by seniortech2018 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Who would be the party to contact within the Gilbarco family of sorts to speak with and provide ASC number of related company and tech numbers of same company..

podczaski
Head Tech

Post by podczaski » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 am

It is very difficult and time consuming to get all of our techs recertified every year. Quite frankly it is a pain in the ass. The alternative to keeping your techs up to date is not good however. Our philosophy is "suck it up buttercup, and get it done". The down side in my opinion is that the companies should allow a little more slack, and make their training sites a little more friendly. One in particular, who shall go nameless, has the reputation of putting a lot of bs into their training. It does, and has always seemed, to me (my opinion only), that those that develop the training benefit from a little more "real world" experience, with the equipment they are training the techs on.

seniortech2018
Pump Jockey

Post by seniortech2018 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44 pm

I would cringe everytime I had to be re-cert Passport and related issues as you never knew what GB had this time around to confuse and bewilder...BUT when the Project manager and senior tech spends days re-certing a string of techs while the techs are making the company money and NOT learning the new fangle devices devised by GB or VR well it made me wonder if I would dare calling TAK with an issue when I was supposed to be knowledgible since I was re-cert days earlier....Louisiana is a funny place, a place where 1 company claims the WHOLE state as their stomping grounds, where they have satellite offices from east to west and 3 aren't ASO nor can they do warranty legally but HEY what do I know...Where the project manager was the so-called owner of a company that was bought out by this hy-fa-lutten company and then 6-9 months later they buy another company out reducing competition and putting their stamp on the territory making sure that no one comes into their back yard...But again what do I know...Im retired and have seen what crooked people do for a dollar and bonus's....I use to think Fla was bad...

Gross
Pump Jockey

Post by Gross » Thu May 28, 2020 12:28 pm

As a company owner, I believe the Company should pay for the initial Certification for the Employee or Technician. We are a Union contractor for Local 562 Petroleum Pipe Fitters. The Union does not offer 40 Hour OSHA HAZMAT Training, nor will it help pay for any training, however our Technicians receive the best 401K, Pension, Health, Dental, Vision & Welfare for them and their families. We provide each Technician with a company vehicle they are to use to get from their homes to the job-site or service call. The company pays for the gas, vehicle insurance, GPS, high visibility fire retardant uniforms, tools for the vehicles, among many other smaller items.

The question I have is, how many owners are paying for their Technicians to sit at their house to get re certified and how many are only paying for the re-certification?

If the Technician chooses not to keep up their re-certifications and decides they want to get re-certified - who is responsible financially to get this completed?

Missouri is a cut throat state to work in as the other contractors are continuously poaching the Technicians we've already paid for all the training, which means money is walking out the door.

All suggestions are welcome.

jjames
Head Tech

Post by jjames » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 am

Most of the companies I have contact with pay for the Cost of the Certification and pay the technician for their time. They also pay for the Re-certification costs, but it is about 50/50 on if they pay the technician for their time.

You can write up a contact to the technician when they are hired that they must repay your company certain Training costs if they leave the company within a certain time period (typically 3-5 years). You will have a hard time actually getting that back from them, but it might discourage people from leaving.