Petroleum Experience ?

Current and archived opinion polls from the Petroleum Equipment Institute.
smellslikegas
Head Tech

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by smellslikegas » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 am

ZMiller

I was a kid working as a cashier at a c-store, Worked my way up to managing 2 stores. Our maintenance guy retired and it would take 2 or 3 days to get a service company usually. I had a highline that was down and I happened to be in the office when I walked by the shelf of parts and saw a book with a picture of my pump. Looked through it and it said my issue was the logic board. Went through the book to see what a logic board was, found one so took it and the part back to my station. Took a few hours but I figured out how to get the bezel open, found the logic board, got it replaced and it started working. 6 months later I was out of management and running around to all of our stations fixing pumps.
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

hardworking
Head Tech

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by hardworking » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 am

quote:Originally posted by smellslikegas

6 months later I was out of management and running around to all of our stations fixing pumps.

LOL, no good deed goes unpunished,

Seriously though, I preferred the field work to office/management work any day. I just can't physically do it (lower back issues).

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by smellslikegas » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:26 am

quote:Originally posted by hardworking

LOL, no good deed goes unpunished,

Seriously though, I preferred the field work to office/management work any day. I just can't physically do it (lower back issues).

I hear ya man, Hard to believe that was 30 years ago. I figure my days in management were numbered anyway. I was about ready to kill someone, just hadn't decided if it would be an employee or a customer. :D

podczaski
Head Tech

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by podczaski » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:48 am

Another question along the same lines....

Current crop of youngins'........attention deficit or not?....The ones I see have a limited amount of patience, and capacity to handle less than ideal situations....Service calls that to me sometimes would just require a little patience make them turn into drama queens.

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by smellslikegas » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:27 am

quote:Originally posted by podczaski

Another question along the same lines....

Current crop of youngins'........attention deficit or not?....The ones I see have a limited amount of patience, and capacity to handle less than ideal situations....Service calls that to me sometimes would just require a little patience make them turn into drama queens.

Where is the like button????

technoman
Head Tech

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by technoman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:40 am

No kidding. The like button would be great. But its not only the youngins I know of one who pooped stained his nose and wont even put filters on his truck in the south east. Works for FJ
Keep it simple the more Complex it is the more expensive and harder to understand and guess what you get the same result. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

hardworking
Head Tech

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by hardworking » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:11 am

Count me in the "like button" desire.

sme.andre

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by sme.andre » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:12 am

I started in 1980 on lube equipment in San Diego. Worked there a few years then went to another company doing heavy equipment as well as lube equipment. Worked for the Case construction equipment dealer a couple of years, then went back to the first company and became a field service tech. I moved to Spokane, WA in 1995 to the Gilbarco dealer and worked in the pump shop. Went back in the field, then moved to the Portland, OR branch around 2001. I got into compliance, doing line testing and related compliance service as well as general service. The company I originally worked for in San Diego was bought by the company I was working for, so we now had branches from border to border on the west coast. Two years ago there was a merger with other companies and I ended up working for the end result. I've had my fingers in fuel and oil for the last 34 years.

fatboy
Head Tech

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by fatboy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:46 am

..........you'll fit right in here, pal. Welcome aboard, [8D] Prerequisite though, gotta get B***** Busted once in awhile.[;)] :D
.......... Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's a Gas! Gas! Gas! ------The Rolling Stones

ERO49
Pump Jockey

Petroleum Experience ?

Post by ERO49 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:32 am

40 years here, many many changes in that time. From pump installation with 2 wire house cable to my latest Wayne Io TV install. Used to be more fun though, too much cya time now. Lol!