Who remembers?

Current and archived opinion polls from the Petroleum Equipment Institute.
Goofy4TheWorld
Head Tech

Re: Who remembers?

Post by Goofy4TheWorld » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:09 pm

ZMiller wrote:Hardly anyone remembers. Where have all the old timers gone?
Scenic Memorial Gardens maybe? :lol:
Last edited by Goofy4TheWorld on Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:21 am

Scenic Memorial Gardens maybe? :lol:

My next stop. Right next to the dispensers where they fuel the backhoes with the really narrow buckets, lawn mowers and weed eaters. I suppose it's ironic but fitting that we all end up inevitably in a ConVault or as dust in a sample jar.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

termdoc
Head Tech

Post by termdoc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Does anybody remember the V/R Magneline - they had Mag II's and III's by the time I worked on them (mid '80's).
The were a V/R electro-mechanical head on top of a Bennett 5000 hydraulic section.
Super cool dispenser - I'd love to see one now!

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:08 pm

I remember. Gilbarco or maybe some other company made a silly replacement electronic dispenser head and display to replace VR mechanical computers when the price per gallon went to .999 plus. They were kind of short lived. Or you could switch to liters and drive customers nuts. That was short lived as well. Or you added the reducing gear to the old mechanical and with a black marker or white liquid paper added a 1. to the computer display PPG window three little screwed on cover.

You always had a junk box full of VR number wheels and shims to replace penny and dime wheels with bad reset clutchs. You didn't replace meters you just took them apart and replaced gaskets.

You remember when you could buy replacement LCD's for Tokheim 162's at Radio Shack for a dollar?
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

Kennyl
Head Tech

Post by Kennyl » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:54 am

ZMiller wrote:I remember. Gilbarco or maybe some other company made a silly replacement electronic dispenser head and display to replace VR mechanical computers when the price per gallon went to .999 plus. They were kind of short lived. Or you could switch to liters and drive customers nuts. That was short lived as well. Or you added the reducing gear to the old mechanical and with a black marker or white liquid paper added a 1. to the computer display PPG window three little screwed on cover.

You always had a junk box full of VR number wheels and shims to replace penny and dime wheels with bad reset clutchs. You didn't replace meters you just took them apart and replaced gaskets.

You remember when you could buy replacement LCD's for Tokheim 162's at Radio Shack for a dollar?

Now this is stuff that I remember. I think I spent a whole summer digging out fill manholes and adding a rubber spill boot to the fill pipes on UST's. I also used to "rebuild" mechanical computed by soaking them in WD-4D for a few days and the repainting the numbers back on the wheels. I also wouldn't mind working on the Tok 162's again.

I miss the good old days when a few wrenches, roll pins, cherry switches and a box of belts fixed a lot of my calls.
Trying to get my forum status back to its former glory!

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:54 am

So you remember random numbers flashing on half of a sites dispenser displays and fixing the problem by adjusting the associated 5 and 9 volt power supply pots. Bet you kept the screw drivers with melted tips after changing a daisy chained pump relay in an updated 94 power center.

Loved Tokheim 98 power centers because you knew what the problem was before you even got to the site. They in most cases were right under the counter and cashers were always spilling soda on them or opening the box on a graveyard shift pulling F-8's, DCB's, flipping switches or manually dialing in prices trying to figure out while truley thinking that there just had to be a way to steal gas and get away with it. I often tried but never could get free gas through a 98 power center.

Every once in a while you got to electrocute your self while perfectly grounded in a converted 94. If you weren't instantly killed or blinded by the flash you were a lot more careful next time.

Anyone remember a 179DP MEMS II and what a phantom shift was?

eromlo49
Head Tech

Post by eromlo49 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:03 am

Anyone remember veeder root magnalines wayne 400 or systems 80 d1000???

eromlo49
Head Tech

Post by eromlo49 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:05 am

How about gasboys 1st card system with the roll around case??? Scott Magee used to teach the class in lansdale.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:19 am

No but I sure remember big red key and barrel key cabinets.

kellythedog
Head Tech

Post by kellythedog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 pm

ZMiller wrote:
I remember. Gilbarco or maybe some other company made a silly replacement electronic dispenser head and display to replace VR mechanical computers when the price per gallon went to .999 plus.

I think you are talking about Gilbarco ' Retropacs" thing weighed a thousand pounds and had a million screws all around it to expose the electronics..it wasnt that short lived, they came to Canada and Chevron used them for years and years...I still have one in my garage.
if it was working before you got there...and now its not...its likely something you did that broke it.