Hourly Wage

Current and archived opinion polls from the Petroleum Equipment Institute.
myk1323

Hourly Wage

Post by myk1323 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:05 am

I've seen the old poll that asks yearly salary, but that makes it hard to field what techs are actually currently making because we all work varying overtime. I'm hoping this poll will give some insight into what a competitive wage is.

What is your hourly wage?

ZMiller
Head Tech

Hourly Wage

Post by ZMiller » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:49 am

All of the above. It depends on where you live, work and more importantly how good you are at preforming your assigned duties. It would be more interesting to ask how much billable labor is written and turned in by a service technician at the end of the month. Based on that figure minus cost is the percentage of profitability.

If a project service technician is for example generating $5,000 dollars of billable labor a day his or her salary and bonus might well exceed $10,000 per month. Are good technicians worth more? Of course they are. It is important for service companies to track service Technicians as true cost centers then pay and add bonuses accordingly. Big money for a preforming technician makes things very interesting and at times difficult for the unstructured employer. I on occasion for a former employer consistently wrote and turned in 10 or 12 thousand dollars a day of project billable labor preparing tanks for the introduction of ethanol blended fuel. For that I was paid $27,000 per year in salary. It didn't take long to figure that the one paying my salary was a little out of touch. I conspired and got myself fired, went into business for myself and shortly thereafter added a zero to what I would have taken home at the end of the year.

Houses, boats, cars, trucks, airplane and tools are paid for and the wife is happy thanks Bill for all your help I will love you forever.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Re: Hourly Wage

Post by 1onemarty » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:39 pm

I was talking to a service Manager at one time and brought to his attention the fact that nobody is talking about a technicians Call Backs. We all get them and it is inevitable, but I would put a lot more wait on that fact when giving raises or bonuses to a Technician. If it takes John three trips to a site before the problem is completely resolved and it only takes Joe one trip usually. Joe is worth three times what John is worth to the companies bottom line. Know what I mean???
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:44 am

You are so correct. The advantage of having trained service technicians and a trained customer requesting service. A technician that kind of knows what the problem is before arriving on a service site is a profitable tool in a companies arsenal. Experience service personal keep a well balanced inventory of parts as well as tools to complete the dispatched task. You can load up a service truck and end up driving around with a taxable ton of negative inventory. Even more frustrating is getting to a service site and not having in your hand the right tool(s).

The nice thing about this industry is there are only about 25 service scenarios that service technicians must master. The rest of service is having and using common sense. The percentage of Job first call completion rates are more the responsibility of management. There I should say are companies that if they can bill for stupidity will continually send morons out in an attempt repair a customers fuel dispensing equipment.

Yes billing for stupidity can be very profitable.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

podczaski
Head Tech

Post by podczaski » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:53 am

Market conditions determine what is paid, bottom line. From a management standpoint, you have to be careful to take care of the good ones, not to create prima donnas, pay the young ones (understanding that the current crop is part of the instant gratification generation), and be able to charge accordingly.

I also try to point out to my guys that it is a pretty good opportunity, since most didn't go to college (overrated anyway, big business), and some got on the job training.

Wages are also affected by the mercenary factor, so you always have to be on guard.

ATLTech
Head Tech

Post by ATLTech » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:10 pm

1onemarty wrote:I was talking to a service Manager at one time and brought to his attention the fact that nobody is talking about a technicians Call Backs. We all get them and it is inevitable, but I would put a lot more wait on that fact when giving raises or bonuses to a Technician. If it takes John three trips to a site before the problem is completely resolved and it only takes Joe one trip usually. Joe is worth three times what John is worth to the companies bottom line. Know what I mean???
You couldn't be anymore wrong. I do agree that callbacks should be considered in raises and bonuses. The problem is that John gets all the calls that other people can't fix. Maybe every now and then he gets more callbacks. He also could be the best technician at that service company. Joe changes nozzles and puts breakaways together all day. I can guarantee you that Joe makes way more money for the company than john. But John is WAY more valuable to a service company than joe. Without John you are going to have a hard time selling equipment, because Joe doesn't hardly know how to service it.

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Post by 1onemarty » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Your comparing apples to oranges, that's not what I meant in my post. Sure you have your beginner nozzle and filter guys and then you have your top Verifone and Nucleus techs. John and Joe are both top Verifone and Nucleus techs in my post. I was refering to a Verifone tech being compared to another Verifone tech, or a nozzle and filter guy compared to another nozzle and filter guy. I don't know how you would compare a top Verifone tech with a nozzle and filter guy??
ATLTech wrote:
1onemarty wrote:I was talking to a service Manager at one time and brought to his attention the fact that nobody is talking about a technicians Call Backs. We all get them and it is inevitable, but I would put a lot more wait on that fact when giving raises or bonuses to a Technician. If it takes John three trips to a site before the problem is completely resolved and it only takes Joe one trip usually. Joe is worth three times what John is worth to the companies bottom line. Know what I mean???
You couldn't be anymore wrong. I do agree that callbacks should be considered in raises and bonuses. The problem is that John gets all the calls that other people can't fix. Maybe every now and then he gets more callbacks. He also could be the best technician at that service company. Joe changes nozzles and puts breakaways together all day. I can guarantee you that Joe makes way more money for the company than john. But John is WAY more valuable to a service company than joe. Without John you are going to have a hard time selling equipment, because Joe doesn't hardly know how to service it.
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

ATLTech
Head Tech

Post by ATLTech » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:00 am

Listen, there is NO way to accurately do what your saying. Trust me, I have seen the numbers. There are many companies that have several top techs that still don't work on the same thing. And still you usually have one tech that fixes what all the others can't.

podczaski
Head Tech

Post by podczaski » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Top tech doesn't mean a hill of beans, when you have to change a leak detector, or a motor, or some other extremely fun thing to do. The way I see it, top tech usually means primma donna. A dollar is a dollar when you look at the bottom line. I choose to use the word experienced or seasoned, and try to allocate resources where they will have the most effect. Our top pos tech is still a good pos tech, put sometimes he has to be a master filter changer as the situation dictates.

We do pay based on ability, the pride or lack of pride they take in their jobs, and what they do for the company. Another thing to remember, is that there are usually more dispensers on the site than pos systems.

Pos is the glory, but "pump jockey" is the guts.

ATLTech
Head Tech

Post by ATLTech » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:01 pm

I really like the quote about there is only one pos onsite but there are multiple dispensers. This is true. Around here there is no such thing as a "POS Tech". I may be one for 2-3days of the week but the other days I run the same calls everyone else does. I honestly don't think there is room for a pos only type of guy in this field. You need to be well rounded on all equipment to really make it in this business.