Diesel Filters

Current and archived opinion polls from the Petroleum Equipment Institute.

Are 10 micron filters a good idea?

Yes.
29%
No.
56%
Only on low-flow dispensers.
15%

Total votes: 34

admin
Site Admin

Diesel Filters

Post by admin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:46 am

The interim weights & measures meeting just opened in Daytona Beach, FL. A proposal requiring 10 micron filters on diesel dispensers is generating a lot of discussion.

What do you think?
Tank owner? Fleet operator? Compliance officer? Explore O & E Membership

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Re: Diesel Filters

Post by 1onemarty » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:48 am

I generally install 30 Micron filters on Diesel.
admin wrote:The interim weights & measures meeting just opened in Daytona Beach, FL. A proposal requiring 10 micron filters on diesel dispensers is generating a lot of discussion.

What do you think?
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

rmurray
Head Tech

Post by rmurray » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:51 am

Sounds good to me, we could use the extra work. Sites might get tired of filters needing replaced every two weeks though.

squid99
Pump Jockey

Post by squid99 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:47 am

rmurray wrote:Sounds good to me, we could use the extra work. Sites might get tired of filters needing replaced every two weeks though.
So how is it the vehicles have 4 micron filters- or smaller- yet drive around for months. But a 10 micron filter on a dispenser will clog up in two weeks?

rmurray
Head Tech

Post by rmurray » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:40 am

squid99 wrote:
rmurray wrote:Sounds good to me, we could use the extra work. Sites might get tired of filters needing replaced every two weeks though.
So how is it the vehicles have 4 micron filters- or smaller- yet drive around for months. But a 10 micron filter on a dispenser will clog up in two weeks?
Beats me, but I know a site or two that need 30 micron diesel filters replaced every two weeks, and more that need them monthly.

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Post by 1onemarty » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:29 pm

Because your not filtering all the crud, or sediment from the bottom of the tanks.
squid99 wrote:
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:00 pm

A great Idea and while your under the dispenser changing the filter check and see if the shear valve is still working.
The suggestion I'm sure has the people at Champion and CimTek looking forward to an even brighter future.
If the diesel fuel being dispensed is clean it shouldn't make a difference what size element the filter is.
Then realize that what one calls a filter unless it is absolute rated one should be calling a "Monitoring Device"

If a diesel dispensers so called filter is regularly clogging up and restricting flow, think and then realize that you probably have a fuel problem.
You have a fuel problem you may just have things other than slow pumps to worry about.

There are issues these days with diesel. Adoption of the Humpty Dumpty philosophy will not resolve issues effecting customer vehicle drivability or a tanks containment integrity.

We all see the beginnings of nasty and serious problems effecting the glass and steel tank fuel storage infrastructure. We see tank and fueling system components rotting away and think filter size is going to make a difference? Velocity Debris Corrosion is the reason your shear valve internal platforms, your dispenser meters and flex connections are rotting away.

All being said one really needs a .5 micron element filter because that's how small the problem debris is these days. On the other hand it's probably to late and if you own a diesel tank your domed.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

podczaski
Head Tech

Post by podczaski » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:45 am

I agree with ZMiller. Diesel is just one big problem. And typical of government agencies, they don't want to fix the disease, only try to treat a symptom. 10 micron filters will slow down the deterioration of metal components in dispensers, especially older ones. But they won't solve a damn thing. As somebody that is responsible for my department's bottom line, being a smart ass, I say go for it. More work is more work.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:51 am

ULS Diesel

The issue seems to be with the quality of fuel and not necessarily government agencies or any other group suggesting a tighter filter. Unfortunately the people suggesting stepping up filtration are just a few steps behind the problem and are seen more as lambs being led to slaughter.

Those to blame for the fuel quality issues destroying this countries storage tank infrastructure sooner or later will get called to testify as the sinners they all are. The refineries are offering nothing less than recessions of forgiving prayer. Admitting to a problem would require resolution and a certain degree of accepted responsibility.

ULS Gasoline

You think we have problems with diesel? You haven't seen anything yet. Wait a year or two and if your not seeing it already watch what's happening with ULS gasoline tanks, tank risers, sumps and dispensing system components.
Last edited by ZMiller on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:26 am

I will get a call from a customer and they will ask if it is normal for a bulkhead in a primary tank that is less than ten years old to rot through and leak into the secondary? I get calls from customers wondering why a motor column has rotted off and left a motor sitting on the bottom of the tank?
My favorite and a classic was a call from a customer asking how a motor could detach from a motor column, continue to run, rip out a striker plate and hammer drill through the primary tank into the secondary containment? I'm often asked why shear valves seemingly all of a sudden don't seem to be working?

Telling the customer he or she has a fuel quality issue just doesn't seem to sink in. I'm sounding more like a Jehovah Witness knocking on doors every Saturday trying to save souls. I don't like being pessimistic but I'm considering just sitting on the curb and waiting for predicted existence on earth to end.
Last edited by ZMiller on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.