Drop Tubes stuck like chuck

How's business? What have you done to make it better? All business-related comments go here.
CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Drop Tubes stuck like chuck

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am

We have had 3 locations where our drop tubes were corroded in place. They end up getting horribly mangled during the attempts to remove them. Then the location cannot receive fuel drops.

The new UST regulations require the drop tube/flapper valve to be removed and tested periodically. I fear a lot of our locations across the country are going to be dealing with breaking concrete to get these drop tubes out.

Is there a way to get a "stuck" drop tube out without destroying it or breaking concrete?
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Re: Drop Tubes stuck like chuck

Post by CherokeeUST » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:40 am

How would you get this drop tube out?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iV6zqh ... sp=sharing
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert

rmurray
Head Tech

Post by rmurray » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 am

That one's too far gone, but I've had decent luck hooking a chain to the bottom of the drop tube and attaching it to a digging bar up top for leverage.

Trickle
Head Tech

Post by Trickle » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:35 pm

We use a splitter.

Thelesserman
Pump Jockey

Post by Thelesserman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 pm

I've been battling this in the western states for years. The only really good way I've seen to alleviate the problem is replacing everything from the tank top up. Fill pipe and spill bucket included. Then make sure there's NO DRAIN in the bucket, and enough crown on the concrete to keep water out. Watch out snow plow drivers!!! :shock:

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Interesting tool to get stuck drop tubes out.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 8495535104

Robert

KJK
Pump Jockey

Post by KJK » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:03 pm

Corroded drop tube?
I specialize in removal of corroded drop tubes.
If interested in my removal tools please call.
I am trying to decide if there is a big enough market to manufacture these tools for this industry.

Kyle. K & K SERVICE STATION maintenance since 1963

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 am

There may be a bigger market for preventing the fill tube rotting out and getting stuck in the riser in the first place.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

KJK
Pump Jockey

Post by KJK » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:41 pm

New spill buckets address this. If they use a drain the drain now dumps into the tube.
In the past they would dump between the tank riser and drop tube which caused our problem with salt water corrosion and debris build up.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:44 pm

A gasket between the fill tube and the riser works good to. One can use a 400 series used filter gasket as it is tapered to make a great seal.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"