Current Opinions on POS systems

How's business? What have you done to make it better? All business-related comments go here.
PLExeDYn
Pump Jockey

Current Opinions on POS systems

Post by PLExeDYn » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Looking for opinions on the current state of various major POS systems for c-stores. We're considering replacing our aging Wayne Nucleus system. Can't seem to find much information online or locally about thier new Namos system, but my impression is people don't like it. Prior, we had an old Ruby console, a supersystem I beleive, which nickle and dimed us to death and never really meet our needs. The Nucleus has been fine. We're a large c-store/ general store format, so above average number of PLUs in inventory plus made to order food service and fuel sales. The local service tech is pushing for a Ruby Ci or Commander. Just not sure I want to go there again.

cantdrive55
Head Tech

Re: Current Opinions on POS systems

Post by cantdrive55 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Whatever you install make sure that you can get service for it. Verifone equipment has the largest footprint in the industry and many techs are capable/certified to work on it. Passport/NAMOS/NCR, etc all will limit you to most likely a single service company. Verifone has come a long way since the Ruby. If I had a store it would be running Verifone Commander / Topaz. Don't wait too long on making a decision - you are way past PCI/EMV certification and rapidly approaching EMV outside. Unless you have a budget to replace POS and pumps I suggest you start now.

Benneti

Post by Benneti » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 am

What's the difference between Verifone Commander and Topaz, Cantdrive55? Which one is more reliable?

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Benneti wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 am
What's the difference between Verifone Commander and Topaz, Cantdrive55? Which one is more reliable?
commander is the brains or the server of the system, the Topaz or ruby2 are the workstations. Topaz has a keyboard and a touch screen, Ruby2 only has a touchscreen. You can use either of them with a commander.
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

PLExeDYn
Pump Jockey

Post by PLExeDYn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 am

Other than the keyboard, is there any significant difference between the Topaz and the Ruby 2?

cantdrive55
Head Tech

Post by cantdrive55 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Nope except we make more service calls on Ruby 2 than we do for Topaz

Joejohnson
Head Tech

Post by Joejohnson » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:14 pm

PLExeDYn wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 am
Other than the keyboard, is there any significant difference between the Topaz and the Ruby 2?
My take is what technology, in this day and age, has a physical keyboard?

What human embraces physical hardware except granny and gramps?

My additional take is we have no more calls for Ruby2 issues than we do for Topaz issues.

My third take is the Topaz 410 and the Ruby2 are the same EXACT unit except for the case and keyboard.

Good luck.

Buyit1986
Head Tech

Post by Buyit1986 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:05 am

After having used both, topaz is good if you have a lot of manual entry items in your store if everything is scan able then ruby2 is better but if you have manually enter on ruby2 it can be time consuming due to the touch only display. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents