"Bad Gas" Claims

How's business? What have you done to make it better? All business-related comments go here.
CherokeeUST
Head Tech

"Bad Gas" Claims

Post by CherokeeUST » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:38 am

How do you deal with claims of "bad gas" by customers?

We see it fairly often where one costomer comes in claiming they got "Bad Gas" from our sites. They usually bring a bill from a mechanic that states they had "Bad Gas".

To fact check them, we usually look at the VR readings from a week before the date the issue occurred. Check the alarm log. Have the tanks tested by stick reading (Making sure the proper paste is used) We've even sent out fuel samples to test for contamination. We've never found water or contamination after one of these claims.

Is there anything we're not doing to verify these claims? Is it even possible to have ONE customer get "Bad Gas"? :?:
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

Goofy4TheWorld
Head Tech

Re: "Bad Gas" Claims

Post by Goofy4TheWorld » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 pm

After I pull the stick out of the tank and show them the paste is still the same color I spit on the stick to show them what would have happened if there was water.

Short of a new car and free gas for life you aren't likely to convince anyone it wasn't the gas, or at least the gas when it left our tanks.

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Never thought to spit on the stick. Hopefully I wasn't drinking too much that day. :shock:
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:32 am

We call untill it can be proven a miss fueling event. Any customer who claims "just their car" has an issue probably has other mechanical problems causing driveability problems.

Or they are victim of a Halloween prank. A single customer complaint is typically a scam.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

minni1986
Head Tech

Post by minni1986 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:10 pm

I just dealt with a customer that did this...

Said back in Dec of 2017 they filled gas from our station and it was "BAD GAS" and her car broke down. She then showed us receipts and even pictures of the mechanic holding some bad gas he had removed from the car. It wasn't some local mechanic though, it was Nissan's official automotive repair. She then we to Chevron and complained. I had to reply back saying it couldn't be possible and we serve 1000's of cars weekly and have our tanks filled up every other day, so couldn't be bottom of the barrel.

She then went to small claims court... this is generally where they apparently win, because if you don't show up you automatically get a judgement against you. We showed the Judge our sales records and gas deliveries. Judge agreed and said there couldn't be any way the bad gas was from our station, as there were no other complaints. Case dismissed.

Oh interesting note...the lady was a lawyer, I assume she knows that people don't show up to court and is betting on that. Her claim was also small, $1200, so she was also betting that small businesses would just pay up.

I wish I could go get her for false claims...but how would we prove that? I would like to see how many cases there are for bad gas and find a pattern..false claims from a small community (person's family and friends?)