Diesel corrosion

How's business? What have you done to make it better? All business-related comments go here.
CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Re: Diesel corrosion

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:19 am

https://www.convenience.org/Media/Daily ... sist_Fuels?

Another article on the issue. Some familiar names are quoted. :D
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:49 am

Thanks for sharing the link with the members of this forum!

Cheers,
Fred

steve77

Post by steve77 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:19 am

Fred,

Our website is quite clear about the thousands of tests done by two major North American based fuel companies that showed that Aquafighter treated fuel tested between 40ppm and 64ppm every single time. Also, we reference the Saybolt labs testing that further supports this. This is all stated on the website.

Please note that more than 3,000,000 liters of off-spec fuel was removed from the pilot project tanks at initial cleaning and 90% of that was delivered back to the fuel stations and sold at retail after being cleaned with Aquafighter. Again, that fuel exceeded retail standards through laboratory testing before it was approved to be sent back to the stations.

In addition, when Aquafighter is placed into the tanks after cleaning, this off-spec fuel does not happen again. Neither does bacteria growth. The Aquafighter technology changes the paradigm for fuel and fuel tank maintenance by shifting the effort to checking the fuel periodically, keeping Aquafighter active in the tank and monitoring the dirt level from fuel deliveries.

I appreciate skepticism, but there is quite a bit of documentation and you can reference that one of our distributors is Cenex in Minnesota and we have other distributors who are both fuel producers and reputable PEI members and equipment dealers.

I have sent you an email. We can do a Zoom call and discuss further.

Steve

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat May 15, 2021 8:00 am

Why are 40% of good looking clear diesel samples collected at nozzles failing a PH test?
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

bugbuster
Head Tech

Post by bugbuster » Sun May 16, 2021 1:56 pm

How do you run a pH test on a non-aqueous sample, Zane?

My experience with bottoms-water tests has been that low pH is a much less common phno9menon than it was in the pre-ULSD era. Polar additive partitioning into the aqueous have increased total dissolve solids (TDS) concentrations by 1 to 2 orders of magnitude, and made pH <6 a rare occurrence. Historically, it was fairly common for me to observe pH <5 and acidity > 50 meq/L. Now I rarely see >1 meg/L.

So, what are you actually measuring?

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed May 26, 2021 5:54 am

Interesting article for what's happening inside fuel tanks.

[PDF]
County 1, Texas 2019 Petroleum Fuel Sites ... - Vaporless
www.vaporless.com/techpdf/tech_090119.pdf
Contractor and Vaporless Manufacturing to examine the activity inside the tanks and sumps for degradation, corrosion and metal contamination effecting both types of coupon (Copper and Steel) over a period of ninety days. Coupons and Material utilized in the sampling consisted of the following: • VT-CC1010 - C122 Copper Coupon

Estimated Reading Time: 15 minutes

Leighton O’Brien launches Compliance Plus digital UST ...
https://www.leightonobrien.com/launch-of...
Nov 05, 2020 · About Vaporless Manufacturing, Inc. VMI manufactures innovative, Best in Class solutions for Mechanical Line Leak Detection & Electronic Line Leak Detection, slow flow prevention, LLD test equipment & tools (TAP & Safety Port), line & tank pressure management, AST OFP, and genset LLD w/ emergency override. Corrosion prevention program – fuel testing & Nitrogen Blanketing System.

Estimated Reading Time: 3 minutes
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed May 26, 2021 6:10 am

It's interesting to see metal coupons being used but more so to see cheap, accurate, simple to use 10 ml field test kits to look for possible and likely issues in tanks before problems damage critical fueling system components.

And for the Great State of Texas any further testing there should be a coupon in the vent pipe. You might be surprised to see what you'll down in Texas might be breathing.

Are these kits yours Ray? I don't see test results for these sites on your map.

PatSmyth
Pump Jockey

Post by PatSmyth » Wed May 26, 2021 7:53 pm

Nice study, good to see the documented effect of corrosion over time. Another paper you should look at is the USAF/ UofOklahoma study, that studied 6 tanks over a years timeframe. As expected, results were discouraging, one tank had to be pulled after 9 months https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00167/full

Also good to see the use of Karl Fisher, otherwise water bonded to biodiesel can’t be measured. Interesting most were under 100 ppm, except for the 13,791 site. Quebec has had biodiesel for 10+ years, six tanks I sampled last year has greatly excessive water: 2,800 ppm, 3,000 ppm, 4,200 ppm, 12,200 ppm, 14,900 ppm, 30,370 ppm. Visual inspection of fuel samples from the bottom showed either no water, or minor amounts. TAN was high in all. This excess water in the fuel column help microbes proliferate, increasing corrosion.

Agreed that nitrogen blanketing will keep water from being reabsorbed.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Thu May 27, 2021 8:25 am

Nice to those addressing the solutions instead of the treadmill sets of symptoms. Yes. Bud Moore did a pretty good job.

foxtrotbravo

Post by foxtrotbravo » Thu May 27, 2021 11:50 am

Somewhat new to the forum and trying my best to leaf through responses. I apologize if this has been answered in here already...

I feel like we need a solid answer on the regularity of testing, the amount of tests pulled, samples taken, and what is truly needed from ASTM d975. I've tried getting quotes and have been given a wide range of answers.