Battling Skimmers

How's business? What have you done to make it better? All business-related comments go here.
fogle622
Head Tech

Re: Battling Skimmers

Post by fogle622 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Gilbarco electronic dispensing units have numerous built-in, anti-theft options available by programming software or adding hardware. I have to believe Wayne likely has options also. However the Gilbarco programming options I'm thinking of are typically disabled by default. Since the options default to disabled most service technicians are not aware of them and how they can be used to reduce theft. Therefore if a site asks, "What can I do to prevent criminal entry?" the techs fail to provide available software solutions.

Beside enabling some programming options there are four steps I'd advise any site to immediately take: Change default pass codes, Have a locksmith rekey or replace all the factory dispensing unit locks, seal each dispensing unit opening with security tape and verify units are properly closed and sealed after servicing.

Gilbarco electronic dispensing units can be ordered or retrofitted with door sensors. The dispensing unit software can respond to door sensor inputs. When I left Gilbarco in 2008 few units were manufactured with door sensors. Perhaps that has changed but I doubt it.
Gilbarco Field Engineer :D
Area Service Manager :roll:
1981 - 2008

NewGEMC
Head Tech

Post by NewGEMC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:00 am

Door options have changed. I worked closely with GB on fuel theft and they have many VERY SECURE options. They have much more secure keys for upper doors, new lower doors with a cam lock style mechanism that accepts a puck lock, both upper and lower door sensors. on the high flows they even have a new secure pulser and they were working on a new secure digital valve. It can get pricey as all are options but still not as pricey as losing fuel due to theft.
Ask your local rep for the current list of options, Gilbarco has finally taken fuel theft and skimming seriously.

nighthawkrebuilder
Head Tech

Post by nighthawkrebuilder » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:13 pm

NewGEMC wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:00 am
Door options have changed. I worked closely with GB on fuel theft and they have many VERY SECURE options. They have much more secure keys for upper doors, new lower doors with a cam lock style mechanism that accepts a puck lock, both upper and lower door sensors. on the high flows they even have a new secure pulser and they were working on a new secure digital valve. It can get pricey as all are options but still not as pricey as losing fuel due to theft.
Ask your local rep for the current list of options, Gilbarco has finally taken fuel theft and skimming seriously.
That they have.... ;)
Junior(Mike)
Global Petroleum Electronics Rebuilders
303-403-0761
mjmorgan@gogper.com

nelsonpw
Head Tech

Post by nelsonpw » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 pm

fogle622 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:33 pm
Gilbarco electronic dispensing units have numerous built-in, anti-theft options available by programming software or adding hardware. I have to believe Wayne likely has options also. However the Gilbarco programming options I'm thinking of are typically disabled by default. Since the options default to disabled most service technicians are not aware of them and how they can be used to reduce theft. Therefore if a site asks, "What can I do to prevent criminal entry?" the techs fail to provide available software solutions.

Beside enabling some programming options there are four steps I'd advise any site to immediately take: Change default pass codes, Have a locksmith rekey or replace all the factory dispensing unit locks, seal each dispensing unit opening with security tape and verify units are properly closed and sealed after servicing.

Gilbarco electronic dispensing units can be ordered or retrofitted with door sensors. The dispensing unit software can respond to door sensor inputs. When I left Gilbarco in 2008 few units were manufactured with door sensors. Perhaps that has changed but I doubt it.
Are you Jim Fogle from the GBCO helpdesk? If yes then years back you gave some great information for troubleshooting PC-Gsite exception errors. I can remember the station I was at when you hooked me up. You made me look good for years after.
This is my signature. There are others like it but this one is mine.

fogle622
Head Tech

Post by fogle622 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm

nelsonpw wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 pm
fogle622 wrote:

Are you Jim Fogle from the GBCO helpdesk? If yes then years back you gave some great information for troubleshooting PC-Gsite exception errors. I can remember the station I was at when you hooked me up. You made me look good for years after.
Yep. I'm that Jim Fogle. Thanks for remembering and sharing the memory.
Gilbarco Field Engineer :D
Area Service Manager :roll:
1981 - 2008

Kennyl
Head Tech

Post by Kennyl » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:46 am

nelsonpw wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 pm
fogle622 wrote:

I used to love it when Jim answered the phone!n I knew I would get real tech support.

Jim what are you up to today!
Trying to get my forum status back to its former glory!

ATLTech
Head Tech

Post by ATLTech » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:11 am

I remember all the techs hating when Jim answered the phone. He would always say "pull out MDE-xxx and turn to page xxx." They hated that he just wouldn't give away the answer. I always enjoyed speaking with him and he taught me how to use the book. It made me realize that the answers were there and I just had to find them. One of the best TAC guys ever. Thanks Jim.

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:38 pm

The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:26 pm

Now that is interesting. Will be fun to see if it works. I am happy to report that there are no skimmers in my living room :lol:
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Who knows? The APP could be a skimmer itself. Wouldn't that take the cake? You wonder if you could find and end up skimming somebody else's skimmer. Nothing surprises me these days.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"