Drop Tubes stuck like chuck

How's business? What have you done to make it better? All business-related comments go here.
KJK
Pump Jockey

Re: Drop Tubes stuck like chuck

Post by KJK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_EB7_b ... p=drivesdk
Picture of last removed tube. 52" burial

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 am

LOL. Had to ask your permission to look at your picture. :geek: What's your regional radius for jobs?
KJK wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 pm
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_EB7_b ... p=drivesdk
Picture of last removed tube. 52" burial
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Is anyone asking why fill tubes are getting stuck in the first place?

Three or four hours to pull a fill tube seems a little ridiculous.

Maybe the stuck fill tube is trying to tell us something?

You would think atmospheric conditions in the tanks causing the addressed removal and inspection of fill tubes would actually be more concerning.

If the atmospheric problems in the tanks are not addressed maybe we need a less in outside diameter fill tube? A smaller fill tube fitted then we can all go back to ignoring inherent problems.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

pumptek

Post by pumptek » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:17 am

If you want to get drop tubes out I am willing to share my expertise and tool designs with you all. We have installed 1000 drop tubes in the last 3 months and am doing 10 sites a day currently. I have all the insight and experience you need. I have a tool that is 100% on removing drop tubes within 15 minutes once you cut the bucket away saving you from having to replace the riser. I have replaced 90% of the drop tubes without needing to replace the bucket itself. I can also tell you that we are going back with an Emco drop tube with an anodized top which I can tell you takes minutes to install vs hours for the OPW and Franklin Valves. Also the Franklin valves are to large in diameter so beware. 2mm difference in diameter makes more of a difference than you think. Plus with the Emco valves it is literally one size fits all - I have had to use a riser extension, also made by Emco, on one out of 900 sites. If you have High alcohol sites you can get a fully anodized tube. Another gotcha to be wary of is measuring the drop tubes correctly. We should all know that the valve is supposed to be placed at 95% of volume not diameter but if your sites do not have a tank chart or have generic tank charts you need to set it at 94% just so the tester does not fail it for being 3/8's of an inch off based on a chart they decided to use at that moment. Apparently the tank needs to have that 415 gallons of Ullage instead of 400 gallons because god knows that will make the difference between a massive contamination event and not. My tool design is like a wheel puller that pulls up on the drop tube and puts downward force on the riser so the pressure at tank top is 0 or minimal. Give me a call if you want me to share or if you have several sites I can come do them for you in a month when I finish this project.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison

SamMozika
Head Tech

Post by SamMozika » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:22 am

Pumptek i am interested in your tool what is your phone number so i can call you

KJK
Pump Jockey

Post by KJK » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:09 pm

Pumptek
Are these drop tubes you remove corroded in place or just hard to remove.
Corroded as in not coaxial , single point fill. Or straight such as diesel or
2point fill. I have in 20 years not been able to just pull a corroded in place
Drop tube without splitting it to release the pressure from all the corrosion
holding it in place.
You are correct about 2mm making a big difference. If I remove a corroded drop tube
And do not totally clean the riser. The Franklin valve will get stuck upon installation.
One good practice I use to help with corrosion is to wrap the straight style drop or overfill
tubes with a wrap of electrical tape. Like a candy cane . This helps isolate the two
Types of metal and helps reduce future corrosion. Which model Emco tubes do you install?
Are they testable without removal?.
K & K SERVICE STATION MAINTENANCE.
PROUD PEI MEMBER FOR OVER 30 YEARS

justinforman
Head Tech

Post by justinforman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:36 am

Pumptek
The Emco drop tubes are not "one size fits all" as you said. Us here in Ca can only use the drop tubes listed in each specific executive order.