Drive off Humor

Have a question about static-related accidents? Post it here. Review our safe refueling guidelines and other information for consumers.
mikey77

Drive off Humor

Post by mikey77 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:20 pm

I had a lady just yesterday ask me why the dispenser wouldn't work. I went outside, and she had the nozzle in her vehicle with the hose and half a breakaway lying on the ground. Needless to say I was quite entertained

Samir
Head Tech

Re: Drive off Humor

Post by Samir » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:59 pm

That's only funny when they stop. We had a guy take off like a bandit when the clerk told them to wait as she was busy with other customers. Then another clerk couldn't put the breakaway back together. Fast forward 2 weeks and I fixed myself after everyone jacking with it moved the oring in the pump side of the breakaway so it wouldn't properly fit together.

But I guess it sure beats someone driving off with the whole pump... :o
Not a technician even though it says 'Head Tech'. :?

mikey77

Post by mikey77 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Yea they are a life saver. I had a store a few months ago ask to remove the breakaway entirely off of an old tokheim mechanical. I tried to explain to him why he needed to put a new one on, but he insisted on leaving it off. It's gonna be a sad day when someone takes off with that pump dragging behind them. :shock:

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:24 am

mikey77 wrote:Yea they are a life saver. I had a store a few months ago ask to remove the breakaway entirely off of an old tokheim mechanical. I tried to explain to him why he needed to put a new one on, but he insisted on leaving it off. It's gonna be a sad day when someone takes off with that pump dragging behind them. :shock:
Wow, that's just stupid. While it may cost some to replace that breakaway, it's a great design to have. Too bad we can't hear some of the stories from the 50s of driveaways! I bet those were some doozies!

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:35 pm

This is what happened next.
https://youtu.be/NhYEP_574PI
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:16 pm

When I started, before breakaways, it seems like we had a call at least once a month for a dispenser pulled off the island.

The best call I got was about 3:00 am, a station with 367's had one hit. I got there and the dispenser was missing, not only was it not on the island it was not on the site at all. The cashier had no idea what happened, he just heard a big bang and when he looked out the dispenser was gone. I proceeded to disconnect wires, cap lines, getting ready to test the lines when a fire truck pulled up. The firemen got out laughing and said "you pump is about 4 blocks down the road" They said they were headed back to the fire station from a call when all of a sudden a fire ball was driving toward them. It seems this guy was so high he didn't realize he had hit the dispenser or that it was stuck under his car on fire. He was arrested, he had 2 kids in the car with him.
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:50 pm

smellslikegas wrote:It seems this guy was so high he didn't realize he had hit the dispenser or that it was stuck under his car on fire. He was arrested, he had 2 kids in the car with him.
Wow, just wow.

And thanks to the miracle of modern day breakaway designs, this guy can get home safe now :? !

dieselengine9
Head Tech

Post by dieselengine9 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:07 am

rmurray
Head Tech

Post by rmurray » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:24 am

dieselengine9 wrote:Image
"We don't need to anchor that thing down, what's the worst that can happen?"

fatboy
Head Tech

Post by fatboy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:44 am

Now does everyone understand why the OEM's put "Date Codes" on SafetyBreaks ??!!
...Test Question later "Newbies" ! :twisted:
.......... Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's a Gas! Gas! Gas! ------The Rolling Stones