Self Taught Pump Tech, by necessity

Welcome to the forums! If you'd like to introduce yourself or your business please post it here. Forum moderators will also answer questions about posting messages, adding images, embedding video or general help with the forum.
Truckes1Stop
Pump Jockey

Self Taught Pump Tech, by necessity

Post by Truckes1Stop » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 pm

I work at a local owned, small, mom and pop gas station called "Trucke's 1 Stop" In seaside, OR.

Our pumps are old tokheim from 2000, and have no over head awning. Living on the pacific north west means a LOT of salt water and rain. So... needless to say these things break often.

That's where I come into play. Basically I have always been mechanically inclined and not afraid to take something apart. So... as things break and the owner is staring at a thousand dolla service call. I stepped in and said, "I can do that."

Those words haunt me to this day. But its been fun, I look forward to learning more, asking lots of questions, and helping this business stay alive a little longer.

Thanks for reading my post, and hello world. :)

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Re: Self Taught Pump Tech, by necessity

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 am

Welcome to the forums.

I have a few locations along the coasts and I feel you on the salt water damage.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

Truckes1Stop
Pump Jockey

Post by Truckes1Stop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm

I am enjoying the info and already its been a valuable source of info. My well intended local pump tech guy was trying to tell me my tank vents are out of compliance. A little google-fu and bingo! found that they ARE in compliance and have been the whole time. so... pfff.... to the delivery driver that casually mentioned, "Smells like gas around here.."

thank again peeps. Its a fun field to get into and learn about.

dreymeek
Head Tech

Post by dreymeek » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:18 pm

I've worked on that site before when I was with Northwest Pump. Tokheim TCS dispensers as I remember. If a driver smelled fumes, it may be one or more of several different possibilities. Do you have pressure/vacuum vent caps? If so, are they operating correctly? Do you have single or dual point fills? Is the driver hooking up properly? Does he have the right fill adapter if you have single point fills? You may have an issue but not realize what is causing it. I worked on that site over 5 years ago, maybe closer to 10, and it was having corrosion issues on the PPG boards back then. I feel for you!

Mobil890

Post by Mobil890 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:45 am

Truckes1Stop wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 pm
I work at a local owned, small, mom and pop gas station called "Trucke's 1 Stop" In seaside, OR.

Our pumps are old tokheim from 2000, and have no over head awning. Living on the pacific north west means a LOT of salt water and rain. So... needless to say these things break often.

That's where I come into play. Basically I have always been mechanically inclined and not afraid to take something apart. So... as things break and the owner is staring at a thousand dolla service call. I stepped in and said, "I can do that."

Those words haunt me to this day. But its been fun, I look forward to learning more, asking lots of questions, and helping this business stay alive a little longer.

Thanks for reading my post, and hello world. :)
Too funny I remember working down the street at the Tesoro station when your location was being upgraded. The installer was sucking fuel from a dispenser sump with a shopvac. These was a huge fireball and loud boom when the shopvac exploded. When a ran over to assist the guy was sitting on the ground smoking (not a cigarette) he only suffer singed hair. Thanks for the memories.