New Standard UL-2447

Underground storage tank regulations, compliance issues and news from EPA OUST, ASTSWMO, CALCUPA and state regulatory agencies.
JohnnyBravo
Pump Jockey

New Standard UL-2447

Post by JohnnyBravo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:35 am

What's the deal here? Is someone pushing for this upgrade or did UL realize that the old set of standards needed a serious overhaul? I'm only asking because I've never heard any chatter about it at trade shows or PEI channels.

Here is the only info I can find:

http://site.ul.com/global/spa/pages/sol ... ?id=2447_1

tankgenie
Head Tech

New Standard UL-2447

Post by tankgenie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:06 am

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/outsco ... =2447.html

Here is the scope of the document. The standard has been in development for a couple of years and was originally published as a subject a while ago. Manufacturers, supply chain members, regulators and others can apply to be part of the UL Standard Technical Panel if they are interested.
"Resident Googler"

JohnnyBravo
Pump Jockey

New Standard UL-2447

Post by JohnnyBravo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:46 am

Thanks, I see the scope in your it is identical to the one I linked. I'm really after the WHY. I've been following this as best I can since I first heard of it but is this on the backburner maybe?

tankgenie
Head Tech

New Standard UL-2447

Post by tankgenie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:06 am

The best person to contact about this is Mr. Roland Riegel. He is the PDE (Primary Designated Engineer) at UL for Flammable Liquids Containment Products and he is the engineer who has worked with the standard technical panel members and UL staff to develop this standard. The goal or WHY for any additional UL listing is always safety. 2247 is now what UL calls a "standard" and it is no longer in development (when it is called a "Subject"). Its been in the works since 2007 or earlier. So, I am pretty sure it is moving forward now that it is published as a standard. (Disclosure, I don't work for UL...but I have served on a committee or two, so I know about the process a bit).
"Resident Googler"

wemerick

Re: New Standard UL-2447

Post by wemerick » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:40 am

PEI will be offering a new 1-on-1 session addressing this topic during the 2017 Convention. See the description below:
Evolving UL Standards for Sumps, Fittings, Accessories and Fiberglass Tanks
This session will help PEI members better understand the new UL 2447 standard on sumps, fittings and accessories, as well as coming revisions to the UL 1316 standard on fiberglass tanks. Five UL staff members directly involved in the development of these standards and related certifications will be on hand to explain the latest requirements, how they are being implemented and answer your questions:
Roland Riegel, principal engineer for flammable liquids containment products

Jeff Prusko and Caitlin D’Onofrio, UL and ULC Standards Project Managers

Bryan Michalik, certification engineering manager for gas and oil products

Jerilyn Merrill, business development manager for gas and oil products

Fatmonk
Head Tech

Post by Fatmonk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:15 am

Several states has been interested in this UL for several years. OPW has already received their UL. Bravo has been in testing for several years and expecting results soon. My understanding is that FRP sumps are having trouble passing the 5 foot drop test.

In California, all sumps installed since 2004 have been double-walled, interstitially monitored. Current state regulations only require an engineer's statement for them to be legal. This UL allows for a comprehensive and consistent test/approval method.

MathewCox

Post by MathewCox » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:45 am

The requirements of the standard UL-2447 covers containment sumps, and associated sump fittings and accessories intended for below or at grade use as an enclosure for housing of, and access to, underground piping, connector piping, and other fueling system components such as pumps, valves, sensors, and wiring

Daleulceld

New Standard UL 2447

Post by Daleulceld » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:31 am

Where and When could l acquire a copy of this Standard Catalog 4th Edition ?

thanks