Confined Space Entry for petroleum technicians

Forum for construction, service and general office safety comments and questions.
CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Confined Space Entry for petroleum technicians

Post by CherokeeUST » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:30 am

The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Re: Confined Space Entry for petroleum technicians

Post by smellslikegas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Good article, can't help wonder how many people/companies in our industry adhere to these standards.
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

gordyjock

Re: Confined Space Entry for petroleum technicians

Post by gordyjock » Mon May 28, 2018 5:27 pm

I am sure that everyone on this forum is very aware of the tragic loss of life that occurs when a confined space sentry rushes in to attempt a sole rescue (sometimes followed by other well-meaning personnel) without waiting for the proper rescue teams. This issue has eluded a solution for over 40 years.
Over the years, this has resulted in improvements to codes of practice, confined space standards, signage, training, permit to work systems et cetera. Whilst these are important and necessary, they are administrative in nature and the problem with humans is that in a traumatic situation the sentry’s brain is flooded with adrenaline they are not thinking logically. They forget the training and don’t read the signs!
We have designed and patented an engineering solution for this situation (as opposed to an administrative one) it has been reviewed by several practising safety managers in various industries with positive feedback in relation to its potential to save lives. However, we cannot progress this further without the help of a development partner capable of taking it to market. Our research shows that the potential market is diverse, international and substantial.
We hope that by posting this comment we may be able to locate and communicate with a suitable company who may be interested in taking this idea further