Verifone World - Road to EMV?

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
scotcal
Head Tech

Verifone World - Road to EMV?

Post by scotcal » Mon May 18, 2015 10:01 am

Once again there is lots of confusing information out there.
Some oil companys (Shell) are immediately going to Commander.
Some marketing companys are stating only Commander will work with indoor EMV
Some company memos, (Citgo) state, Sapphire / Viper will suffice until outdoor EMV.
Does anybody have some definitive answers yet regarding independents, I/E Buypass, RBS etc?
I'd like to offer clients answers that are somewhat realistic......

xdblchkemployee
Pump Jockey

Re: Verifone World - Road to EMV?

Post by xdblchkemployee » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:22 am

Funny! notice no one has stepped up and given you any answers. EMV another scare tactic. I tell people wait till its in black and white to do anything....

Todd2869
Head Tech

Post by Todd2869 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Very little related to EMV is as it seems.

xardoz
Head Tech

Post by xardoz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Some company memos, (Citgo) state, Sapphire / Viper will suffice until outdoor EMV.
Verifone has declared EOL for the Viper Series V900/V910/V920, Can not purchase new ones...

So not a good path for the future :shock:
https://online.hillsdale.edu

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

jingwak
Head Tech

Post by jingwak » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Funny. Seems nobody knows about EMV. Maybe someone here could contact someone who lives in Greece and ask how their EMV cards are working in the ATM's there lately?

feaster3333
Head Tech

Post by feaster3333 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:15 pm

It's such a scare tactic that nobody will post. I'm a Passpprt guy and it's the same way. Seems like it's a network thing. If they aren't ready then they are responsible. But if they can't tell you when they are gonna be ready how do they expect United States to be ready all at once ??

jpowers
Head Tech

Post by jpowers » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:34 am

xardoz wrote:
Verifone has declared EOL for the Viper Series V900/V910/V920, Can not purchase new ones...

So not a good path for the future :shock:

Have I missed a document? I just received a document from Sunoco saying their locations can upgrade to Viper - apparently for 1/6 the cost of a Commander upgrade. If I had any hair, I'd pull it out.
If everyone is thinking the same...no-one is really thinking.

xardoz
Head Tech

Post by xardoz » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Maybe the most dreaded V930 is on the way :roll: :twisted:
https://online.hillsdale.edu

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

dino
Pump Jockey

Post by dino » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:12 pm

Here is what your merchants should know.

Come October 1st indoor fraud liability shifts from the card brand ( visa / mc ) to the merchant. As of July 21st 2015 this has not changed. AFD outdoor shift is October 1st 2017. That may or may not change.

C-store customers need system that can adapt to their ever changing environment. Viper is not and will never be that system. Commander also loads and performs leaps and bounds over sapphire viper system. Besides all application enhancements, features, and support will be in Commander.

I would have the merchant check to ensure their processor is EMV ready and has software from the POS vendor available. Most POS vendor do not have EMV capable software available today. POS vendor is hardware ready. At least 1 additional site downtime will be necessary for future EMV software upgrades. Find out a timeline from their processor. There may be grace periods by a processor if software is not ready. That will ultimately depend on the processor. However this may afford the merchant sometime to consider spending the massive amounts of money to upgrade inside. Some of these folks will need to invest so much money in EMV they'll either sell or close.

Will there even be enough techs to convert all US stores by October?

rando987
Head Tech

Post by rando987 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:20 pm

Anyone who would add viper to a sapphire is a moron, yes, up front they may save money, however, any good service company would explain that you are adding another piece of hardware that can fail in an already unstable piece of equipment in which the cost of service for reloads and time down because of v910s and compact flash cards etc. would easily equal the amount you would spend on a new POS that would cause you nearly no service for the first few years at least. I don't know what others are seeing from the commanders but i have installed 50 of them at least and most are Exxon but have also done generic buypass sites some amstar and some clark and one BP beta. I spoke with a heartland rep today and he said the same, they have an option to add viper to existing sapphire, but also have the choice to upgrade to commander. Heartland is leaving this up to the customer and their service contractor. Now from what engineers and reps from verifone have said is Citgo has run into some network issues which is delaying the release of production software and nearing the next Beta, Citgo. Bp has similar issues but more software related than network and from what I heard from Greg T was they were nearing a new Beta period as well. I do know for a fact, however, that BP sites will require a Commander no matter what they decide to go with for a POS, they have the choice of passport, Commader, the Wincor (someday) and i think radiant, but will require commander to control the network, so for those sites it would be silly to not get a commander since you need one anyways. Most problems I have seen in the field with commanders can be fixed with a reboot, with maybe some cat issues or speedpass, but they really nailed it by taking every bad part of the sapphire and correcting it with this unit, have not had network issues with cybera/Exxon or Buypass/ASA or zone router or merchant gateways. I've had a few touch screens that i replaced on topazes, and a mx pin pad. I don't know, just my 2 cents about how I feel about the commander, clearly I am a big supporter. How do you all feel about them? Any major issues you have seen yet? I am sure passport guys aren't huge fans but I can understand that, either way plenty of business for us all and soon when all the major oils are out in production with a deadline to be installed, at least I know ill be getting some serious overtime :)