Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
bonneaus
Head Tech
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by bonneaus » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:32 pm

All - Trying to remember if there was a bulletin on this before. Here is what a colleague is saying is happening:

Customer comes up to pump
Authorizes transaction
Originally they were using prepaid proprietary gift cards. We started turning those off when we see these types of transaction on a specific gift card.
Now they have moved to prepaid debit cards.
Payment stops around $.04/.05
Customer is there for 20+ minutes – seems to be filling.
Sometimes we see them pull a 5 gallon can, but most of the time it seems like they are just filling their tank
I am told when this occurs on our pumps it goes into slow flow. So it would take awhile to fill one tank
Tends to always be the same people or same 2 people, they go to the same pump
Can’t find loss of product – could be that it is too small of an amount

Any of you heard of this? I thought I heard of this issue 1-2 years ago, but might have been different. I'm not sure they are on latest version of Commander. They are unbranded, but not sure if using Buypass.

javamelt
Head Tech
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by javamelt » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:59 pm

bonneaus wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:32 pm
All - Trying to remember if there was a bulletin on this before. Here is what a colleague is saying is happening:

Customer comes up to pump
Authorizes transaction
Originally they were using prepaid proprietary gift cards. We started turning those off when we see these types of transaction on a specific gift card.
Now they have moved to prepaid debit cards.
Payment stops around $.04/.05
Customer is there for 20+ minutes – seems to be filling.
Sometimes we see them pull a 5 gallon can, but most of the time it seems like they are just filling their tank
I am told when this occurs on our pumps it goes into slow flow. So it would take awhile to fill one tank
Tends to always be the same people or same 2 people, they go to the same pump
Can’t find loss of product – could be that it is too small of an amount

Any of you heard of this? I thought I heard of this issue 1-2 years ago, but might have been different. I'm not sure they are on latest version of Commander. They are unbranded, but not sure if using Buypass.
So, being in a full serve state we had this brought to our attention. It first started out that out the attendant would say it would stop before preset amount but still would trickle out. You could end up filling a car (would take a while) but it would just keep trickling till you hung up nozzle. We tried swapping and changing parts (valve, igem pitted conduit) until My coworker was actually able to duplicate issue. Found issue to be an imeter. Since then we had replace dozens of meters for this same issue. It always seems to be at an end of a preset sale.
So you work 40 hour weeks, I remember my first part time job! :lol:

bonneaus
Head Tech
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by bonneaus » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Thanks javamelt for the detailed info. I've relayed.
javamelt wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:59 pm
bonneaus wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:32 pm
All - Trying to remember if there was a bulletin on this before. Here is what a colleague is saying is happening:

Customer comes up to pump
Authorizes transaction
Originally they were using prepaid proprietary gift cards. We started turning those off when we see these types of transaction on a specific gift card.
Now they have moved to prepaid debit cards.
Payment stops around $.04/.05
Customer is there for 20+ minutes – seems to be filling.
Sometimes we see them pull a 5 gallon can, but most of the time it seems like they are just filling their tank
I am told when this occurs on our pumps it goes into slow flow. So it would take awhile to fill one tank
Tends to always be the same people or same 2 people, they go to the same pump
Can’t find loss of product – could be that it is too small of an amount

Any of you heard of this? I thought I heard of this issue 1-2 years ago, but might have been different. I'm not sure they are on latest version of Commander. They are unbranded, but not sure if using Buypass.
So, being in a full serve state we had this brought to our attention. It first started out that out the attendant would say it would stop before preset amount but still would trickle out. You could end up filling a car (would take a while) but it would just keep trickling till you hung up nozzle. We tried swapping and changing parts (valve, igem pitted conduit) until My coworker was actually able to duplicate issue. Found issue to be an imeter. Since then we had replace dozens of meters for this same issue. It always seems to be at an end of a preset sale.

Samir
Head Tech
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:25 am
Location: HSV

Re: Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by Samir » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:06 pm

javamelt wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:59 pm
Found issue to be an imeter. Since then we had replace dozens of meters for this same issue.
So is this really a Commander/Ovation or just an Ovation issue? If it is an ovation issue could it happen to ovations connected to other pos systems?
Not a technician even though it says 'Head Tech'. :?

Cyclepower
Head Tech
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by Cyclepower » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:55 pm

What kind of dispensers? It was a common scam a while back to use a prepaid card at the dispenser to get it authorized and then after a dollar or so was dispensed they would break the meter gear if it was Wayne or break the meter shaft if it was a Gilbarco. They could then just continue to fill until as much as they want.

This only works on older Wayne Vistas or Gilbarco Advantage dispensers.


Samir
Head Tech
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:25 am
Location: HSV

Re: Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by Samir » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:23 am

Cyclepower wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:55 pm
What kind of dispensers? It was a common scam a while back to use a prepaid card at the dispenser to get it authorized and then after a dollar or so was dispensed they would break the meter gear if it was Wayne or break the meter shaft if it was a Gilbarco. They could then just continue to fill until as much as they want.

This only works on older Wayne Vistas or Gilbarco Advantage dispensers.
Wow, physically break the meter gear? Wouldn't someone see that? If they were paying attention?
Not a technician even though it says 'Head Tech'. :?

John garrity
Pump Jockey
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:36 am
Location: west palm beach, florida
Contact:

Re: Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by John garrity » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:56 am

We have had customers report this issue. I do not want to disclose too much detail but a device is inserted into the dispenser. Then the perpetrator waits for another customer to begin fueling to activate the STP. I can vision it working with most makes and models of dispensers. My advise is door security. We manufacture the only UL Listed door security for Wayne and Gilbarco dispensers. The OEM's make a very effective solution for newer pumps. https://www.LoxahatcheeElectronics.com

Samir
Head Tech
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:25 am
Location: HSV

Re: Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by Samir » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:25 pm

Thank you for the additional insight. You mention the OEM's make effective solutions for newer pumps--does their system work similar to yours or is it something different?
Not a technician even though it says 'Head Tech'. :?

sunshine_st_tech
Head Tech
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:07 am

Re: Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by sunshine_st_tech » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:14 pm

If you still got old Advantage pumps, or old Wayne 390 pumps...UPGRADE.
If you see me running, hit the E-stop and join me.

Samir
Head Tech
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:25 am
Location: HSV

Re: Verifone Commander Gift Card Fuel Theft?

Post by Samir » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:39 pm

sunshine_st_tech wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:14 pm
If you still got old Advantage pumps, or old Wayne 390 pumps...UPGRADE.
I'd be surprised if anyone has these any more after the whole emv thing goes down. :shock:
Not a technician even though it says 'Head Tech'. :?

Post Reply