VASC Training

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
shmob
Head Tech

VASC Training

Post by shmob » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:04 am

I'm going to VASC training within the next 60 days. I did and passed all pre-course material. I am just curious on what the actual hands on VASC training is like in Clearwater, FL. If anyone can give me a few tips, that would be great! Also, what do we need a DB9 adapter for?? I thought Verifone only uses RJ50/RS232...?

ksanders22
Head Tech

Re: VASC Training

Post by ksanders22 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:34 am

I didn't go to Florida but study up on mix/match and combo stuff. Don't guess at anything. All the answers are there if you take the time to look them up. Most answers are in the VASC service manual, release notes or the implementation guide. Lots of PCI stuff also.

jgar477
Head Tech

Post by jgar477 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:39 pm

I went to Clearwater for both Sapphire and Commander. Both times I had some knowledgeable trainers. There was a lot of hands on training ie setting up and tearing down equipment and configuration and programming. My advice is pay attention especially to the networking stuff. The db9 adapter is for the topaz.

scotcal
Head Tech

Post by scotcal » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:20 am

The first time I was in Clearwater, they were having lots of afternoon thunderstorms. Tons of amazing lightning. Having come from an area where lightning is quite rare, I kept going outside to get the best view of the show. One of the locals finally told me how truly dumb I was, standing outside asking to become a lightning rod.

Yes, networking knowledge really helps.....

Cyclepower
Head Tech

Post by Cyclepower » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 am

The DB9 is used for both the Topaz and the Ruby 2 console port. That's where you'll set the ID of the unit, and the time zone. It will also start the software installation process if you're using a commander with a Topaz.

shmob
Head Tech

Post by shmob » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:29 pm

Thanks for all the info! For the DB9 adapter, I know we need a male adapter, but do we need one with the finger screws or posts? I'm assuming the finger screws.
This is the one I bought, Hoping it is correct for requirements!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QUZY4WO/re ... gEbPE0T0MS

xardoz
Head Tech

Post by xardoz » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:10 pm

That is a USB Serial but you also need a Null Modem Connector

The link is just to show you what the part looks like...
https://online.hillsdale.edu

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

dctech
Head Tech

Post by dctech » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:19 am

You will need a functioning terminal program on your laptop (I.e. Hyperterminal)

shmob
Head Tech

Post by shmob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Sorry, I am a little confused as I don't recall this being covered in any of the training modules. My laptop is brand new and does not have an integrated DB-9 connector. The Ruby2 also does not have an integrated DB-9 connector. I also don't believe the Topaz has an integrated DB-9 connector. An above comment mentioned that you need the DB-9 to configure the Ruby2 also.

In the registration packet it says:
"""9-Pin serial port, MALE connection or adapter
NOTE: Many laptops are no longer manufactured with a 9-Pin serial port. Should this be the case there are several options, including:
USB to Serial Converter
PCMIA Serial Card
Express Card """
I am completely lost on where the DB-9 connector comes in to play if none of the equipment has a DB-9 connector.
And you are saying I need the cable i already purchased (DB-9 to USB) in addition to the Null Modem Adapter? What is the Null Modem Adapter for?
I already have Putty on my laptop as that is what I use to configure EdgeRouters for our security camera systems.

I apologize in advance for any frustrations!!

Joejohnson
Head Tech

Post by Joejohnson » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:17 pm

shmob wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:26 pm
Sorry, I am a little confused as I don't recall this being covered in any of the training modules. My laptop is brand new and does not have an integrated DB-9 connector. The Ruby2 also does not have an integrated DB-9 connector. I also don't believe the Topaz has an integrated DB-9 connector. An above comment mentioned that you need the DB-9 to configure the Ruby2 also.

In the registration packet it says:
"""9-Pin serial port, MALE connection or adapter
NOTE: Many laptops are no longer manufactured with a 9-Pin serial port. Should this be the case there are several options, including:
USB to Serial Converter
PCMIA Serial Card
Express Card """
I am completely lost on where the DB-9 connector comes in to play if none of the equipment has a DB-9 connector.
And you are saying I need the cable i already purchased (DB-9 to USB) in addition to the Null Modem Adapter? What is the Null Modem Adapter for?
I already have Putty on my laptop as that is what I use to configure EdgeRouters for our security camera systems.

I apologize in advance for any frustrations!!
My suggstion is read the information in the packet and trust you are being given accurate info.

FYI.........as a VASC you may be required to configure an older Topaz for a Commander.

That will require you to communicate with the terminal using RS232. How do you plan on doing that without a USB - RS232 adapter, A VF RS232 cable and a DB9 adapter.

The DB9 connects to the USB adapter, the cable connects to the DB9 on one end, the other end plugs in to the 'console' port on the Topaz.

Putty works fine for your emulator.

Enjoy......