Pinpad breaches

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
scotcal
Head Tech

Pinpad breaches

Post by scotcal » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:37 am

I've noticed a dramatic uptick in indoor pinpad breaches the last few weeks.. 3 breached in 3 weeks with no obvious reason. Prior to that, breaches have been a DIY employee trying to remove debris from the EMV slot.

My fellow tech, Patrick attributes the breaches to all the disinfecting occuring now. I agree. Store employees are constantly spraying and wiping.

Verifone is apparently aware, as they just sent an email regarding how to keep their equipment clean.

POSDiddy
Head Tech

Re: Pinpad breaches

Post by POSDiddy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Recommendations for Proper cleaning and disinfecting of Gilbarco Devices
03-21-2020
Service Bulletin Number:3086
Priority 2
Summary
In conjunction with recent Global Events, Gilbarco has been receiving an influx of calls and emails about PIN pads displaying MAINTENANCE REQUIRED UT and MAINTENANCE REQUIRED UAT.
Cause
Due to consumer concerns about Health, It was discovered sites were spraying PIN pads with disinfectant which was leaking into the PIN pads causing an internal tamper sensor to trip.

Masrawy
Head Tech

Post by Masrawy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:54 am

this issue been happening a lot lately

people are going crazy trying to disinfect or clean Verifone pin pads using harsh chemicals or bleach

we normally cleaned them using Rubbing alcohol on a microfiber towel then wipe the screen and keys

Cyclepower
Head Tech

Post by Cyclepower » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:00 am

I've replaced about 6 of them in the last month due to breaches. Almost all of them you could tell they had been soaked in disinfectant.