Swift Check w Old Style Red Jacket

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
hahutt
Head Tech

Swift Check w Old Style Red Jacket

Post by hahutt » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:04 am

Hey, pulled up on a site today with old style red jacket and a plld with no swift check. Site was having issues with jumping cents. Put gauge on line and it drained all the way to 0 psi in about 10 minutes. Looks like it has a new functional element and the line seats at 11-12 psi. My question is are all old style red jackets required to have a swift check with plld?

P.S. Also didn’t check ATG, thought about it as I was pulling off to the next job. I glanced at it and just saw one alarm for low level but no plld alarms.

Bcatron
Head Tech

Re: Swift Check w Old Style Red Jacket

Post by Bcatron » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:17 pm

No, I don’t believe it is required for the old style red jackets to have a swiftcheck valve. Just make sure it has this part number according to Veeder-Root (848480-001). I have 3 Older red jackets with PLLD and no swift right now.

With that being said, I would say your issue (meter jump or jumping cents) would most likely be with the packer o-ring, meter check valve, or check valve relief pressure is too low. Check the packer o-ring by separating the STP housing and it’s located below the PLLD. Also check the o-rings on the functional element. They are cheap easy fixes most of the time. While you are in the STP sump, go ahead and turn up the pressure on the functional element. If that doesn’t correct the issue, check the meter check valves.

Kperlow
Head Tech

Post by Kperlow » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:29 pm

I was always taught that red jacket had to have swift checks and fe petro did not.
Kevin Perlowski

BigRed
Pump Jockey

Post by BigRed » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:23 pm

I agree with Kperlow. I always thought the old style RJ used a swiftcheck and a gutted Functional Element, and the FE Petro used a precision check valve with the "R" stamped on it and no swift check.

In the Veeder Root Line leak application guide(577013-465) it lists the swiftcheck as the first check valve used with the Standard RJ motor.

Bcatron
Head Tech

Post by Bcatron » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:35 pm

In the manual you reference it said Standard (all models), not Standard RJ. It says: The Red Jacket= not required. It also shows illustrations with both Swift check valve and with no Swift check valve installed.
Last edited by Bcatron on Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigbadjohn
Head Tech

Post by bigbadjohn » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:09 pm

Red Jacket used "Standard" to describe both old and new STPs.

If it has a functional element it gets a swift check. Adjustable pressurestat doesn't need it.
Red Green "If it moves and shouldn’t: duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should: WD-40."

Bcatron
Head Tech

Post by Bcatron » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:19 pm

RJ Standard, RJ Quantum, and The Red Jacket. Standard and Quantum are what I would consider “older style RJ”. The Red Jacket is the newer style. All of which can be used with or without swiftcheck valve. You can even use functional elements, just have to modify them if wanting to test 0.2 & 0.1 GPH. 3.0 GPH.

Quantum and The Red Jacket you can use a spike check.

Regardless of the debate, right or wrong, just be on the safe side and use swiftcheck valve 😂.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:42 am

What the PEI Forum is all about.

Great posts for a million dollar question.

Tank you all.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"