Ruby2 CI Plu problem

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
faizzms

Ruby2 CI Plu problem

Post by faizzms » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:04 pm

Hello All,
I recently purchased my first gas station and remodeled it and purchased the new Ruby2 CI commander cash register. The problem I am running into is when I go to add a plu in the Ruby it is converting all the barcodes to 14 digit barcodes by adding zeros in front of it. For example the upc for marlboro light box is 2838423 but my ruby changes it to 000000002838423. I have changed my scanners 3 times. I first used a honeywell orbit and now use a ds9208.

My biggest problem is that I cannot get my back office which has the proper upc code to sync with the ruby as the 2 upc don't match.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ATLTech
Head Tech

Re: Ruby2 CI Plu problem

Post by ATLTech » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:19 am

it sounds like your scanner is not programmed properly. So your saying the back office has the right codes but your scanner at the register is not expanding them properly? If that's the case you need to program your scanner.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:25 am

Congratulations on the venture into the ownership, operation and management of a gas station. There are some forum members here where at some time in their careers followed similar industry introduction paths. You will find the forum a great source for information regarding equipment and system operational issues.

New site start up and new system programing issues are best asked of the equipment provided sales team. If competent they should be providing support for the equipment they sell. There are frequently knowledge issues with an equipment supplier where they have no idea how the equipment they sell actually works after set up application in an actual gas station. Initially it is well advised to find a knowledgably, well trained and honest service provider in your local area to assist in startup programing.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:27 am

ATLTech

Thanks for being kind to a new store owner.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

dmcginnis89
Head Tech

Post by dmcginnis89 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:24 am

Yup...you need either your back office or back office scanner programmed (probably both). I'd either call a service provider, or the manufacturer of your scanner and see if they can help you out.

Good luck

xardoz
Head Tech

Post by xardoz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:30 pm

What Back Office?

Yes the Verifone revolves the UPC/SKU into it's long format, the Orbit should have worked GREAT!

Most likely you are transmitting the Check Digit, the far right number...
If so, The Ruby2/Commander will try to create a check digit based on that info...
You need to suppress the Check Digit (AKA: Suffix)

Per your example....
283 842 3 (This is a Short bar code, UPC-E [Expandable])
It is resolved into a UPC-A (028200003843)
'3' is the Check Digit, this should not be sent to the Ruby2

Hope this helps 8-)
https://online.hillsdale.edu

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

405pumptech1
Pump Jockey

Post by 405pumptech1 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:24 pm

On the backoffice computer scanner you need to scan the "Convert UPC E to UPC A" programming barcode. It will automatically expand the short code of the UPC E to the Required amount of digits for the Verifone recognizable UPC A code.

skonley
Head Tech

Post by skonley » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Just curious as to what brand you are - I have run into 2 different Orbits that do exactly as you describe. But put a Symbol in its place and it works fine. Never really tried to figure out re-scan coding the scanners, but I'm sure it can be done with the right scan codes.
Be alert - we need more lerts!