Breached SPM

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
pumpguy55
Head Tech

Re: Breached SPM

Post by pumpguy55 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:18 pm

Wayne's latest RKI programs a generic SPM in a couple of minutes on your laptop. Swap out with the latest bezel is 5 minutes, just remove 2 screws, loosen the 2 bottom ones.

Some of the earlier bezels weren't quite as easy but took maybe 10 minutes.

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:21 pm

It takes longer to get the laptop out of the bag, booted up, and hooked to the internet than it does to encrypt one. :D
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

pumpguy55
Head Tech

Post by pumpguy55 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 pm

smellslikegas wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:21 pm
It takes longer to get the laptop out of the bag, booted up, and hooked to the internet than it does to encrypt one. :D
That's pretty close to true, I leave mine in sleep mode most of the time.

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:33 am

Very interesting that you guys say that a breeched spm can have the encryption reloaded because our local Wayne authorized service tech (Estes Equipment Chattanooga) just told me mine can't be reloaded and we need new spms--which is it? They can be reloaded or they cannot when the diagnostic screen says one is breeched?

The tech did mention that they can reload the debit injection, but when the whole spm is breeched they cannot. Is this a company policy to avoid any issues with re-encrypting an spm or has wayne changed their policy? Thank you in advance for any answers.
Not a technician even though it says 'Head Tech'. :?

dmcginnis89
Head Tech

Post by dmcginnis89 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Samir wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:33 am
Very interesting that you guys say that a breeched spm can have the encryption reloaded because our local Wayne authorized service tech (Estes Equipment Chattanooga) just told me mine can't be reloaded and we need new spms--which is it? They can be reloaded or they cannot when the diagnostic screen says one is breeched?

The tech did mention that they can reload the debit injection, but when the whole spm is breeched they cannot. Is this a company policy to avoid any issues with re-encrypting an spm or has wayne changed their policy? Thank you in advance for any answers.
if an SPM is breached, it can not be fixed (at least in the field, or by techs. i’m assuming wayne can do it somehow)

next time your techs are onsite, have them upgrade the software/firmware on all your CATs and SPMs. wayne just released some new stuff that makes them less susceptible to breaches.

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:03 am

dmcginnis89 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm
Samir wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:33 am

if an SPM is breached, it can not be fixed (at least in the field, or by techs. i’m assuming wayne can do it somehow)

next time your techs are onsite, have them upgrade the software/firmware on all your CATs and SPMs. wayne just released some new stuff that makes them less susceptible to breaches.
Thank you for the reply! I learned a lot talking to the techs and a parts distributor about the spm's and how they are programmed. And also learned that a breech is a breech--pretty much just a core at that point, and the programming that was being referred to in this thread was that of a new generic one where a tech can use RKI to load whatever injection the site needs and can also check if an existing spm is still good.

It was interesting to talk to the parts distributor as Wayne wants them to carry generics and inject them before shipping to customers as opposed to drop-shipping ready-injected units from Wayne. But they are wary about having these units sit on a shelf due to the battery. And that battery is a really dumb design imo. I get that once an spm is injected it shouldn't be fiddled with, but having a battery fail and take out the injection is just planned obsolescence--and there's enough things that can go wrong in a pump over time to require maintenance, so the design wasn't necessary to be this way. Besides, while the spm is so secure, it's the card reader that's left exposed to the skimmer installers. :roll:

Pretty much every spm on the site will be replaced sans 2 of them (and that pump got a new red board), so I think everything will pretty much be updated to the newest software levels, but I will double-check. Thank you for the tip!! 8-)

pumpguy55
Head Tech

Post by pumpguy55 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:56 am

I feared batteries would be an issue but they have not been at all. We had a recall early on that replaced a bunch. But overall they have lasted very nicely and super easy to replace.

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:48 am

pumpguy55 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:56 am
I feared batteries would be an issue but they have not been at all. We had a recall early on that replaced a bunch. But overall they have lasted very nicely and super easy to replace.
That's good to hear. When was the recall and what was it about?

Ours have definitely done pretty well as well, the two that didn't breech are still the originals installed in 2013. 8-)

pumpguy55
Head Tech

Post by pumpguy55 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:12 pm

It was several years ago when they first came out.

Samir
Head Tech

Post by Samir » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:21 pm

pumpguy55 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:12 pm
It was several years ago when they first came out.
Gotcha. Makes sense. Glad to hear these are pretty stable today.

There's been a run on them as of late in our area as I was asking a service company this morning if they could send 4 vs 3 with the tech in case there's a doa and he told me that he'll try but that the demand for these has been so high lately that keeping up is proving to be an issue right now. Anyone else seeing a lot of demand for spms?