Passport 2 Registers and Fuel Prepays

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
saltzie

Passport 2 Registers and Fuel Prepays

Post by saltzie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 am

Hi there!
We have recently moved from Nucleus to Passport in our Gulf Gasoline Station. We run 2 registers, and found that we cannot perform a Shift Close on a single register (we have to close both at the same time for a Shift Report). We have gotten around this by performing a Cashier Report for a register so that we don't have to shut down operations entirely at shift change. However, our over/shorts are way off between the two registers -- and I believe this has to do with some Cash Prepays being "cashed out" on the OTHER register. Is there some way to adjust the reporting so that we can resolve this and allow each register to be entirely and wholly accountable for just their own transactions? Nucleus managed Prepays pretty seamlessly, and I don't know whether I'm just missing something here on the Passport system...
Thanks in advance!

Erica

Joejohnson
Head Tech

Re: Passport 2 Registers and Fuel Prepays

Post by Joejohnson » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Buy an least one extra drawer till. Have your next shift employee(s) come in 5 minutes early and count the till to confirm. Spend 90 seconds closing the shift then have the next employee log in with their drawer at the ready.

I have found if you acknowledge a customer and advise them of the situation, 99.9% will understand and give you a chance to change shifts.

saltzie

Post by saltzie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Out staff comes in early and does count. However, we have scheduling issues that do not allow both registers to close simultaneously... I run 2 shifts on one register and 3 on the other (part timer schedules). Either way, it does it solve the prepay across registers issue on the reports. Thanks, though!

jay
Pump Jockey

Post by jay » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:11 am

Don't do Shift close, do Till close. And at night say 2 am when it might be slow or at store close time, do a Day Close.

You can do Till adjustments under Manager Tasks, but its a pain. It will be important to do start and end count of the drawer on till open and close respectively. Or, will have to do Paid in. Entering till open and close balances is easiest. You will have to configure the cashiers role for blind balance and not see the totals end of the shift at till close.

If cashier doesn't put Till open or close balance accurately, they will be over/short; under Manager Tasks you can fix this. However, there is a software bug in Buypass/Generic version that I know of, when you run the cashier over short report: if the Manager has not verified the tills in manager functions, this report runs blank. Anyway, you will have to experiment a little to see what works for you.

Day close should add up all tills.

If you are paying out the pre-pays from other register, passport prompts you for YES/NO confirmation, select NO. So always credit back the balance from respective registers.

Shift Close concept in Passport is useless.

saltzie

Post by saltzie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:39 am

Thanks, Jay. We currently use till reports for the individual shifts and run the shift close at the same time we run the day close. I agree that the shift report has no value (at least the way it runs at my store).

"If you are paying out the pre-pays from other register, passport prompts you for YES/NO confirmation, select NO. So always credit back the balance from respective registers."
I don't believe that we are prompted for a yes/no confirmation when cashing out a prepay from the other register. Is that a setting in the setup that I can configure? That's where the crux of my problems are. Cashier 1 is $55 short on their till report and Cashier 2 is $55 over. While the money is all there, I cannot hold anyone accountable is for some reason they gave back wrong change, etc, because of the over/short issues present regarding the prepays.
Thanks for your response! I appreciate it!
E

RossD
Head Tech

Post by RossD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:40 am

I find it interesting that Nucleus can handle this with no problems and Passport can not, Its simple money in and money out, not rocket since.
:roll:

kmiller
Head Tech

Post by kmiller » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Each register should prompt you if the prepay wasn't done on it when you give the change back.

I know one of our large chain sites only do till reports and day close. They have the cashier count down their drawer to whatever they started with and do a safe drop. Then close the till and it is ready for the next cashier.
Kelly Miller

jay
Pump Jockey

Post by jay » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:36 pm

It should prompt for verification if cashing out from other register prepay. Call the Helpdesk if it doesn't. Also ensure that till open and close balances are put it. Fix it to a mandatory $100 as an example. Prior cashed starts with $100 and leaves $100 in the till (the carry over bank). Everyone punched $100 start and $100 balance. Any disputes between cashiers etc should be handled post day close when you are verifying tills.

Ask Helpdesk to walk you through manager task functions if ending or beginning $100 is forgotten.

bonneaus
Head Tech

Post by bonneaus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:33 pm

We did away with shifts years ago when we went to more than 1 register, just did cashier reports until end of day. This is interesting to hear, I did not know there was challenges to 2 or more Passport setups on fuel prepay refunds. The Nucleus always handled this well for us. We are still a few weeks into our Passport conversion and focusing our on our BOS migration from SSCS to Petrosoft for our first site, so may not have uncovered this yet...I do know I've heard Chevron company op sites are waiting until version 12 to install Passports...this could be a feature being corrected.

saltzie

Post by saltzie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 am

Jay, thank you!
We will try the "no" option and have each register cash out ONLY its own prepays and hopefully that will eliminate the over/short discrepancies.
I appreciate your responses!
I still can't figure out why Passport cannot resolve this internally like Nucleus does, but, hey... maybe V12 will?
Thanks again!
Erica