Gilbarco tech # rules

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
Hafla
Pump Jockey

Gilbarco tech # rules

Post by Hafla » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:13 pm

I have given a tech # thru gilbarco. Can I use the tech # anywhere (different city or state) or only in an area where my company is located. I am not talking about sharing the tech # but instead traveling to another city and use it myself.

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Re: Gilbarco tech # rules

Post by 1onemarty » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Hafla wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:13 pm
I have given a tech # thru gilbarco. Can I use the tech # anywhere (different city or state) or only in an area where my company is located. I am not talking about sharing the tech # but instead traveling to another city and use it myself.
Where ever you are repairing Equipment and need tech support you use your tech #. Your tech # is usually tied to your ASC company and used to be when you left that company you were no longer certified and had to be recertified or have your tech # transferred to your new company, your supervisor would take care of that. If you are a certified technician you can use your tech # anywhere.
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

Hafla
Pump Jockey

Post by Hafla » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 am

What if the as company you are working for goes out of business or change of ownership?

Fueltechpro
Head Tech

Post by Fueltechpro » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 am

You cannot transfer Tech # to your company or try to buy his company even he is trying to close his business get the no Tax Due certificate to make sure he don't owe any Tax. I think that's the best way to do it.

1onemarty
Head Tech
Location: Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Madison.

Post by 1onemarty » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Hafla wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 am
What if the as company you are working for goes out of business or change of ownership?
You could most likely still use your tech # until it comes time to recertify, then you will have to be tied to a working ASC company.
Marty's Petro Services :evil:

rob.zinke
Pump Jockey

Post by rob.zinke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:45 pm

You have to get your own ID, have to go through the class and pay money. Can't get around it. Also no sharing and if there are ASCs in your area you have to get permission from Gilbarco regional manager to become a CSC (which our company has done and I am the certified tech). They almost NEVER allow this though to a single company. We got an exception for us.
System Administrator
Gilbarco CSC Tech
Fresh Start Convenience

minni1986
Head Tech

Post by minni1986 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:55 pm

rob.zinke wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:45 pm
You have to get your own ID, have to go through the class and pay money. Can't get around it. Also no sharing and if there are ASCs in your area you have to get permission from Gilbarco regional manager to become a CSC (which our company has done and I am the certified tech). They almost NEVER allow this though to a single company. We got an exception for us.
off topic kinda

What is the reasoning for Gilbarco to limit CSC/ASC certified? I was working for a small company with only 2-3 employees and Gilbarco had refused them. I believe Gilbarco said the reason was that there were already too many companies certified (3 or 4 to my knowledge). This makes it a monopoly for these companies and they charge ridiculous high prices per hour (minimum they were charging was about $300 per visit, regardless of time or work) and also upcharge a lot of the items. I had a couple customers that I had worked with that want out of Gilbarco because of this. I understand paying for quality, however, this kills any competition for new companies to form. The company I was working for pretty much is dead now since all new dispensers/POS are gilbarco. We were all honest good workers that helped the customers out an tried to save them money. Gave simple tech support over the phone to see if they can solve the problem or let them know ahead what the charges are so they could decide if it fair. Which isn't a case now with the CSC/ASC companies. The company had money to pay for the ASC/CSC however, it was Gilbarco that refused them completely only because they said there are too many other companies. Unfair

rob.zinke
Pump Jockey

Post by rob.zinke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:11 pm

I actually was not a part of the "bargaining" my boss (owner of our gas station chain) did with Gilbarco. I am the sole tech (that got certified) for our company. I just heard from the boss that they limit and typically do not allow what we got to do to happen.
System Administrator
Gilbarco CSC Tech
Fresh Start Convenience

fogle622
Head Tech

Post by fogle622 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:58 am

Normally a company pays to send a technician to a service class. Most technicians obtain multiple certifications so their employer has a large investment in employee training and certification.

Some technicians have obtained a lot of certifications and then decided to switch employers or start their own service business thus competing against the employer. That's not fair either and that's why Gilbarco matches a technician number to both the technician and the employer that paid for the training. This policy ensures the employer has some control over their investment. If a technician decides to switch employers then the status of the technician number is a negotiating point. Obviously if a company goes under then the technician still has the training but the technician number no longer has a certified employer to sponsor it.

Having certified technicians is only part of what is required of an Authorized Service Contractor (ASC) or Customer Service Contractor (CSC). They are also obligated to meet specific service goals by maintaining personnel, parts stock, service vehicles, insurance and other essentials necessary to meet the service needs of their service territory.

Typically when customers perform their own service Gilbarco encourages ASCs to develop and maintain a relationship with the customer so the customer will continue to use Gilbarco equipment. Gilbarco wants customers to use the ASC as a resource for parts and training. In the past it was not unusual for ASCs to sponsor customer technicians to training classes. Providing that service to the customer benefits the customer, the ASC and Gilbarco.
Gilbarco Field Engineer :D
1981 - 2008

minni1986
Head Tech

Post by minni1986 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:01 pm

I understand what you are saying, however what I am asking is why Gilbarco is limiting companies....not employees.

Gilbarco wants an investment of 40K+ just for classes and material, which the company i was working for was willing to pay and send their employees for training....however, Gilbarco turned around and said oh sorry your city already has too man companies (to my know only 3-4 companies) that are gilbarco certified and no longer wanting other companies to receive ASC/CSC...

This is putting many companies out of business