Shift Close - Commander

Look here for answers to your technical questions. Post a question or share your expertise with others.
rmfred
Head Tech

Shift Close - Commander

Post by rmfred » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but is there a way to do a "shift close" for only one register at a time? When we do a shift close now, it closes all registers. We would like more audit capability of our cashiers but our shifts overlap so doing a shift close that closes all registers doesn't work and the cashier report doesn't include department totals so we cannot determine what department(s) might be short.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

eromlo49
Head Tech

Re: Shift Close - Commander

Post by eromlo49 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Cashier close??

dmcginnis89
Head Tech

Post by dmcginnis89 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:17 pm

go to config client and your report configuration. look for a check box that say "cashiers span shift" or something along those lines

you should also be about to setup cashier tracking by department.

nelsonpw
Head Tech

Post by nelsonpw » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:09 pm

The short answer is 'no'.
This is my signature. There are others like it but this one is mine.

Goofy4TheWorld
Head Tech

Post by Goofy4TheWorld » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 pm

We are a store with three Topaz (what's the plural of Topaz???) and we have the same problem, we don't change employee shifts at the same time.

The solution is to NEVER do a "Close Shift". We use cashier level reporting for all shift changes. During the midday shift changes we "Close Cashier" and then start another cashier for that register, then at the end of the day we close all 3 cashiers followed by a "Close Daily". Both our cashier reports and our daily reports have Department totals on them, BUT in order to have your Departments print on your Cashier Reports you have to go into the Commander's Config Client and go to Report Tracking and then add to the tracking list ALL of your departments***. After you do this (and log each Topaz out and back in I think) future cashier reports will have both MOP totals and DEPT totals (but may print on separate slips of paper which print out back-to-back).

So for my three Topaz I get a 2pm, 3pm, and three 10pm Cashier Reports (with MOPs and DEPTs) and then I get one Daily Report that sums them up all together. We use the cashier report to balance the cash drawer, and the daily report to recorded daily sells into the accounting records. At no point to we ever close or run a "Shift Report".

***I was pulling Cashier Tracking steps from foggy memory, exact wording may vary.

rmfred
Head Tech

Post by rmfred » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks for the replies.
Goofy4TheWorld: your solution might just be the idea we needed.

Goofy4TheWorld
Head Tech

Post by Goofy4TheWorld » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 am

Just to tidy up some points I glossed over....

Even though we do not ever run or print a shift close, anytime you "Close Daily" the Commander will automatically initiate a "Close Shift" first, which will create a shift close with the same time and date as the day close. You may (I'm not sure) have to make sure auto-printing is turned off on the Shift Report to keep you from getting two end-of-day reports (one Shift and one Day), I can't remember if auto-print is on or off by default. I have auto-print on for my Daily Report, so after the day is closed the day report (but not the Shift Report) shoots out of the printer automatically.

I point the shift closing fact out because if you ever use the Journal Browser or Transaction Manager to look at transactions, you will see that the top of the list of dates available for you to retrieve are "Shift Close" time/dates, and the "Day Close" list is at the bottom of the list of available records to retrieve. But since a closed shift and a closed day are the same thing for us, we just click on the "shift" T-Log since it is at the top of the list and for us is the same time period as a day close.

rmfred
Head Tech

Post by rmfred » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Good points about Transaction Mgr or Journal Browser