Gas tank explosion--WARNING EXPLICIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum for construction, service and general office safety comments and questions.
CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Gas tank explosion--WARNING EXPLICIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by CherokeeUST » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:12 am

These guys are going in to reline a tank and it does not work out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IenCSI9CHUc
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

rmurray
Head Tech

Re: Gas tank explosion--WARNING EXPLICIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by rmurray » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:23 am

Aren't you supposed to use one of those explosive meters before getting in a space like that?

dieselengine9
Head Tech

Post by dieselengine9 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Can't tell a whole lot about the location but based on the time and date stamp on the video wouldn't this be somewhere outside the US?

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:50 pm

I don't have any idea. The word camera looks English.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Prevention from the looks and size of the flare would have been to drop a lit match or two in the tank before anyone started working on it.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

Kennyl
Head Tech

Post by Kennyl » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:45 am

ZMiller wrote:Prevention from the looks and size of the flare would have been to drop a lit match or two in the tank before anyone started working on it.
That's basically what he did by lowering the light into a tank that was not properly evacuated and tested for vapors.
Trying to get my forum status back to its former glory!

whittingtonm
Head Tech

Post by whittingtonm » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:53 am

Zane, I understand that back in the mid-1990s, when a lot of old, single-wall steel tanks were being removed, at least one tank pulling contractor used to do that. Supposedly he would remove the top cover from the tank, and then toss the match in. He called it "woofing" the tank to loosen up the backfill, since the tank usually collapsed somewhat. :roll: But I never saw it done, and he might have been joshing.

I haven't heard from him or of him in years. He might have "woofed" himself away. Probably a real good chance of that. If he did, it's too bad it was before the internet, because he could be eligible for a Darwin award today. ;)

Tanks that have not been properly inerted and ignition sources don't mix!

gdtaylor
Head Tech

Post by gdtaylor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:26 pm

we so need a like button on this forum :) :)
Greg Taylor

Product Support Engineer

Verifone, Inc.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:37 pm

I have "Woofed" a tank or two. Once or twice by accident and then a number of times for the fun of it. It is a bunch of fun to over pressurize an empty tank full of just hydrocarbon vapor to say 10 or 15 psi and then from a distance pop the fill cap off. Talk about a screaming jet engine flair. Even better on a really hot day or at night.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:59 am

ZMiller wrote:I have "Woofed" a tank or two. Once or twice by accident and then a number of times for the fun of it. It is a bunch of fun to over pressurize an empty tank full of just hydrocarbon vapor to say 10 or 15 psi and then from a distance pop the fill cap off. Talk about a screaming jet engine flair. Even better on a really hot day or at night.

No videos?

This is like the story I've heard of the contractor who would take the tanks out to his field after removing them. Seal up all the bungs but one, put a blasting cap in that one and let his buddies use it for target practice. First, I want an invite to that, second I want to see a video of it.
Robert