STP Lifting and Confined Space Entry

Forum for construction, service and general office safety comments and questions.
unclezombie

STP Lifting and Confined Space Entry

Post by unclezombie » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:55 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone has a solution for mechanically lifting out STPs while also having a method of confined space rescue.

My company has an 11' tall aluminum tripod thats rated for 1 ton (STP tripod) with a chain hoist that rated for a 1/2 ton. If works good for pulling out STPs, but the problem is, what do you use for rescue while that is setup? We can't have a smaller confined space tripod (CS tripod) underneath it.

The manual for the STP tripod says you can't lift people and the manual for the CS tripod say it can only lift people.

We can no longer lift STPs out manually due to the number of injuries that have occurred. Using a boom truck or other heavy equipment works fine, but it isn't always available.

How does your company pull out STPs while also having a worker tied to a lifeline? Any ideas?

MoGas88
Pump Jockey

Re: STP Lifting and Confined Space Entry

Post by MoGas88 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:06 am

I'm assuming it's an UST.

How deep is the CS Entry? how deep is the STP located? and does personnel really have to be in the confined space while you're pulling the STP out?

loosen the stp from the tank manhole, and make sure she can come out freely with the STP tripod/chain hoist along with multiple tag lines to guide it out.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: STP Lifting and Confined Space Entry

Post by ZMiller » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:04 am

There are a lot less costly and cumbersome ways to legally allow a servicing person to work in a confined space.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"