Smoking at the pump.

Forum for construction, service and general office safety comments and questions.
pumpguy55
Head Tech

Smoking at the pump.

Post by pumpguy55 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 pm

You will not believe what happened this morning... I pulled in to a gas station.
Stopped to get fuel and coffee. When I was walking in to pay, and noticed a policeman watching a woman who was smoking while pumping gas.. I saw her & thought, "Is this lady stupid or crazy?!! With the policeman right there too?! "But anyway, I went inside and got my drink. As I was checking out, I heard someone screaming. I looked out the door & the woman's arm was on fire! She was swinging her arm & running around going crazy! I went outside & the policeman had put her on the ground & was putting the fire out with his coffee!!!
Then he put handcuffs on her & threw her in his police car.. I was thinking "what kind of person smokes near a gas pump?!" But being the nosey person that I am, I asked the policeman what he was arresting her for... He looked me square in the eyes & said ... "WAVING A FIREARM!"

xardoz
Head Tech

Re: Smoking at the pump.

Post by xardoz » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Ha! :lol:
https://online.hillsdale.edu

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

ATLTech
Head Tech

Post by ATLTech » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:26 pm

That's pretty funny.

Earlier I had a call that a pump was leaking. Of course they didn't know where. I turn it on and it start spewing from the double bumps up top. As the fuel was leaking, I look up and the owner is on the other side of the pump lighting a cigarette....

pumpguy55
Head Tech

Post by pumpguy55 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:07 am

:D the old guys always smoked while working on them.

dieselengine9
Head Tech

Post by dieselengine9 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:45 am

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:37 pm

pumpguy55 wrote::D the old guys always smoked while working on them.
33 years ago I was friends with a fire chief. We had a station across from his fire house and we would often meet for lunch. One day I had my head inside the hydraulics of a Highline around lunch time, a cigarette hanging out of my mouth, when I heard him walk up behind me. He said "I wish you guys wouldn't smoke while you worked on these," I replied, "Just a second, I am just looking for a leak." When he got done throwing a fit I showed him it was not lit. :lol:
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

pumpguy55
Head Tech

Post by pumpguy55 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Love it! Years ago I was at a very old Shell station that was being converted to a cardlock. The panel was gone, new one was to be installed later.

The mechanic was removing the old suction pump and certainly wasn't worried about creating a spark. Well, we got a huge arc off the wiring, nice little fire started at the riser. He set it down and the fire went out.

I never found out how it was getting power or don't remember.