Tank Warranty Voided

UST, service station, bulk plant, car wash, commercial refueling installation, design and construction.
ZMiller
Head Tech

Tank Warranty Voided

Post by ZMiller » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:55 am

The installer did not follow the tank manufacturer’s instructions to bury tanks in pea gravel or crushed rock. Instead, the installer just dug a hole, plopped the tanks into the hole, then covered them with “native soil” containing rocks, boulders, chunks of asphalt, rusted pipes, and other debris. The first tank was set atop a boulder with a nine-inch diameter as well as atop pockets of air.

The tanks were double-walled, steel with a fiberglass sheath. A few years after installation, testing revealed that the fiberglass sheath on one tank was no longer intact. The tank was excavated and the fiberglass sheath was found to be cracked from the tank sitting on a nine-inch boulder.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

tankgenie
Head Tech

Re: Tank Warranty Voided

Post by tankgenie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Manufacturers in our industry spend a great amount of time and attention writing installation & maintenance manuals for their tanks & equipment. Its always a good idea to read them. Usually, its a contractor who gets a job and isn't really in our industry that skips this step.... Certainly not any of us here on this forum! But thanks for the reminders Z!
"Resident Googler"

smellslikegas
Head Tech

Post by smellslikegas » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Come on Z, you just don't understand how much "pea gravel or crushed rock" cost. :D
I can't fix stupid, But I can sure charge for it.

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 am

I've seen one site use sand for backfill. Thankfully, (Knock on wood) we've never had one in native soil with huge rocks.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 am

I did have a South San Francisco city inspector ask me once if I had compacted the pea gravel before final grade. I was speechless with inspectors at that point.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 am

Have you dealt with the inspectors that make you fill a dispenser sump with rocks?
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.
Robert

Join our UST Compliance Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8358167/

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 am

I have seen a contractor(s) fill those silly AMOCO/BP piping, fill and man-way containment sumps with gravel and then pave or concrete over them.
A few drill permanent holes in bottom of containment sumps to let the water out.
I have even seen testers pretend to test lines, leak detectors and tanks.

hardworking
Head Tech

Post by hardworking » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:07 am

ZMiller wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 am
I did have a South San Francisco city inspector ask me once if I had compacted the pea gravel before final grade. I was speechless with inspectors at that point.
You can't compact pea gravel, but ... you can consolodate it. If you have a chance, take a 5 gallon bucket, use the backhoe to dump pea gravel in it. Take a board and level the top like you were screeding concrete. Then go around the bucket tapping it.

When I did this with #8 stone (back in the 90's in VA), we wound up with about a 1 to 1.5" settling. So, while the inspector used a poor choice of words, he has a point.

Techie
Head Tech

Post by Techie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:29 pm

CherokeeUST wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 am
Have you dealt with the inspectors that make you fill a dispenser sump with rocks?
Every dispenser pan in NYC has to be filled with pea gravel 1" above the piping on any non-metallic pipe installation. Its a code requirement, and has to be approved as part of our final functionality testing.