diesel pipe dope thread sealant

UST, service station, bulk plant, car wash, commercial refueling installation, design and construction.
ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: diesel pipe dope thread sealant

Post by ZMiller » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:30 am

Dave Johnson at Federal Process is the expert at sticking and screwing things together. If one looks at the Federal Process line of products they must have 20 different tapes and as many sealant pastes for specific applications.

Dope-Tape-Dope is somewhat proven and may work best for most applications when assembling in the field.

Diesel being a solvent and especially receint fuel reformulations may and often require specific sealants. Federal Process prints a sealant bible that can be handy to have on hand.

There are as well self wicking sealants made by Locktight for (and you won't find them at Home Depo) very specific and by the numbers applications that work wonders.

Simple as sealing up fittings might seem what one uses depends a lot on location conditions, operating equipment temperatures, bi-metal compatibility, vibration and if the connected component will ever require replacement of repair.

Connection weeps , seeps and leaks can be aggravating.. Some may remember removing dispenser hoses from dispenser cabinet mounted swivels where the NPT threads had not been initally or properly doped.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:37 am

This explanation in detail on the extreamly interesting subject of sticking things together should satisfy Diesel.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

dieselengine9
Head Tech

Post by dieselengine9 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am

ZMiller wrote:This explanation in detail on the extreamly interesting subject of sticking things together should satisfy Diesel.
You do a wonderful job. I'll say it again, you should be the happiest man alive.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon May 01, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm happy because you are a good person. You know your stuff in an industry where that is rare. I can kid around with you.

You work for a great company and that's even better.

I need help with a problemed piece of equipment You, JT and Davis Airtech are always there with what's needed to resolve the issue(s).

Could I say more?

I can but it will cost you.

tankgenie
Head Tech

Post by tankgenie » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:46 am

Now I'm being told to use Permatex 80045. Does anyone else have experience with this sealant? Gasoila PLS2 has not being doing the job with diesel reportedly?

https://www.permatex.com/products/threa ... und-16-oz/
"Resident Googler"

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:10 pm

Federal Process manufacturers many different types of thread sealant besides PLS2. Types selected that work best will address applications specific to conditions and equipment operating environments. Most often leaking fittings are found to have been for some reason, improperly assembled and or back off fitted after final assembly.

Equipment point of manufacture prior to installation can also cause weeping, seeping and leaking issues. An example being if equipment is assembled, mishandled, long term stored or bounced around when transported to final destinations. When shipping I have always advised that customers and contractors ship using "Air Ride" freight carriers. Once a leaking fitting is discovered other than as in a rare case the manufacture should be contacted. Dave Johnson at Federal Process being a valuable contact to correct and resolve sealant leaking issues.