Containment sumps that are water tight

UST, service station, bulk plant, car wash, commercial refueling installation, design and construction.
cbroadfoot
Pump Jockey

Containment sumps that are water tight

Post by cbroadfoot » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:44 am

Here in NC State inspectors are not tolerant of habitual water in containment sumps that is not removed within 24 hours or so in sumps installed post 11-1-2007. Eastern NC is especially problematic with a high water table. Most water intrusion comes not from the sump wall penetrations but from the top due to the high water table or from storm water runoff across the drive way. We know how to raise the sump manhole covers to create a bit of a mound to allow runoff to flow around the manholes. My question is who makes a manhole that has a good solid water right lid and a sturdy sump. I like the Petroleum Containment Inc. manholes and lids from what I've seen on their website but would love to know if there are others out there. Thanks for your help.
"If men were angels there would be no need for government."

James Madison

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Re: Containment sumps that are water tight

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:09 pm

I recently heard of magnetic sump lids. I have not used them, but they are interesting. Not useful if your sump lid is under water.

This is a sales pitch disguised as an informative article, but it talks about DPM's Magnetic Sump Lid Retrofit Kit.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/water-in ... ine-larsen
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

TechTim
Head Tech

Post by TechTim » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am

Western Fiberglass has a lid that has an inflatable seal. A picture can be seen here. http://www.westernfg.com/whatsnew.html
I haven't talked with anyone who has used them, but we are considering using them in our bus yard.
You have got to be kidding!

mrdv
Head Tech

Post by mrdv » Wed May 03, 2017 7:20 am

I wish there was. I battle the same thing here in MD, VA and Delaware. Have not come across any real full proof sumps. The biggest problem is the sump is only as good as the last person to put the lid back on.
Mark

Milan
Head Tech

Post by Milan » Tue May 09, 2017 2:35 pm

This will slowly become an issue across the entire country when owner walk through inspections are mandatory. I don't believe there is a "magic bullet" fix. The solution is a complex one that starts with site design and grading. I see too many refueling facilities graded like any other commercial lot. Fueling facilities require special consideration when they are first laid out in the design room. Do it incorrectly and you will have a nightmare on your hands for the next 30 years. A spill bucket lid or seal isn't going to do a lick of good when you funnel all the runoff and garbage across your tank field every weather event for the life of the site. It's just a matter of time before any gasket/seal fails. Until owners take a more careful look at their site designs or designers, this problem is only going to get bigger so stock up on gaskets and seals...

Milan

scTankTester

Post by scTankTester » Thu May 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I've installed a few of icons manways (at grade and sump lids) and they have held up nicely. Armorshield also has a very cool lid but only comes with their entire sump rebuild.