UST Calibration

UST, service station, bulk plant, car wash, commercial refueling installation, design and construction.
psicxa
Pump Jockey

UST Calibration

Post by psicxa » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:22 pm

I have a customer with a problem with a few tanks. Apparently over the years these have moved and are not leveled and they are having a problem with the wet stock management process. They dip the tanks manually and get the volumen from the tank charts. Measurements are not accurate anymore.

There is no leak problem since both tank and pipes have been tested and if you use the dip stick in two different manholes you get two readings so the tank has an inclination.

My question is: what would you recommend to correct this (removing and reinstalling is not an option).

Any suggestions on how to correct the tank dip chart or to recalibrate the tank. We have the option of using water and a 50 gallon prover but this is invasive, will have to stop sales for a day (you know how they love that) and then I'd have to deal with contaminated contact water.

Any suggestions appreciated.

portica@gmail.com

NewGEMC
Head Tech

Re: UST Calibration

Post by NewGEMC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 am

What kind of ATG is installed? In a Veeder Root you can program an offset to account for tank tilt to effectively level out the tank

psicxa
Pump Jockey

Post by psicxa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 pm

No ATG, they dip the tank manually with a dip stick.

NewGEMC
Head Tech

Post by NewGEMC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Do they no how to reconcile via SIR (Statistical Inventory Reconciliation)?
I would strongly urge an ATG though it will pay for itself in the long run

Triscone
Head Tech

Post by Triscone » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 pm

The answer you seek is much easier than you think. Assuming the tanks haven't rolled all you have to do is manually stick at tank center. The original charts will always be accurate if you stick at center of tank. This is why you never have to program a tank tilt in an ATG as long as probe is at tank center.

Tankerguy

Post by Tankerguy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:37 pm

Does this calculator help? https://planetcalc.com/1442/