Wet Hole-- UST install

UST, service station, bulk plant, car wash, commercial refueling installation, design and construction.
TexasUST

Wet Hole-- UST install

Post by TexasUST » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:03 am

We are installing a 20,000 gal, split compartment UST in Columbus Texas, everything was going great (water table at 18') until the Hurricane hit, now I have a 14' water table. I have had a dewatering system set up for the last month (I started dewatering two weeks before Harvey hit) -- 14 wells surrounding the hole and they are pumping over 100 gallons per minute. We have a soupy sludge of native soils on the bottom but at 15' its sandy. The water is coming in from the east side of the pit-- literally the "side". So today I'm going to dig a pit on the east corner, lay filter fabric, insert (2) 55 gal drums that I have drilled holes in and backfill with pea gravel. I will then drop one trash pump in each barrel and hopefully drain that part of the pit while I excavate. The problem is that my tank hole is not stable, the bottom is soup and as far as shoring the store owner cannot afford it and I'm not about to do it for free.

1. How can I stabilize my base before I lay filter fabric then pea gravel
2. I'm installing a 20k split steel/frp 10' dia, ballasting full with water and using deadmen, weight total is going to be around 200,000 lbs, how do I stabilize my base --it's soup now

-- Screw Harvey-- I'm not a scuba diver :evil: :shock: :shock: :shock:

ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: Wet Hole-- UST install

Post by ZMiller » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Time. Worst case you may have to start over. Where was the table say 5 years ago?
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:28 am

I've seen pictures of tanks being installed in holes full of water in Florida. All the installers had life jackets on.

My first resource would have been here also, my second would be the tank manufacturer. Then if that failed I would ask the TCEQ for guidance.
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

cantdrive55
Head Tech

Post by cantdrive55 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:14 am

Just installed a site 300 feet from the Chesapeake Bay. Had to hire a diver when one of the tank straps came off. We bury tanks all the time like this.

NewGEMC
Head Tech

Post by NewGEMC » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 am

Get man out of hole straps and sink the tanks

CherokeeUST
Head Tech

Post by CherokeeUST » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:52 am

The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent