What is the solution to the diesel problem?

Underground storage tank regulations, compliance issues and news from EPA OUST, ASTSWMO, CALCUPA and state regulatory agencies.
CherokeeUST
Head Tech

What is the solution to the diesel problem?

Post by CherokeeUST » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:57 am

Diesel is back in the news, with a new report claiming almost 80 per cent of cars exceed emissions limits, and protesters taking on chief dieselgate offender Volkswagen at its UK HQ. What is the best approach to the diesel conundrum.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/poll-prob ... ed-diesel/
The opinions expressed here are entirely mine and are not endorsed by my employer.

Robert
www.linkedin.com/in/robertlargent

ZMiller
Head Tech

Re: What is the solution to the diesel problem?

Post by ZMiller » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Quality control?
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

mrdv
Head Tech

Post by mrdv » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:53 am

I thought this would be about the diesel corrosion issues in UST systems???
Mark

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 am

The corrosion issues in tanks and their associated sumps has been resolved.
When you are dead it's likely you won't know it. It could be difficult for others. It's the same if you are stupid.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in a way that they will begin looking forward to the trip"

fattermonk
Pump Jockey

Post by fattermonk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:37 am

It's about time. Now was that so hard?
This opinion is mine and not shared by my employer

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:09 am

It pays to have paid attention in 10th grade physical science class. Thank God the end of this nightmare is in sight.

To late for diesel tanks but maybe ULS gasoline tanks can be saved.

Probably not though. May be to late all the way around.

Prayers be with tank owners.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Latest news on fuel quality testing?

On the NFPA 110 website, I noticed that a committee has voted in favor of a Tentative Interim Amendment for additional fuel quality testing of emergency power generator systems. See attached of an NFPA communication dated September 6, 2018.

This could get interesting?

Seems when looking at FOI Labs interactive pass/fail map of North America clusters of fuel test fails are showing up in some pretty interesting places.

thediver

Post by thediver » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:10 pm

ZMiller wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:09 am
It pays to have paid attention in 10th grade physical science class. Thank God the end of this nightmare is in sight.

To late for diesel tanks but maybe ULS gasoline tanks can be saved.

Probably not though. May be to late all the way around.

Prayers be with tank owners.
Zmiller are you able to elaborate any more on that? From what I've heard a good amount of people are still having diesel corrosion issues.

ZMiller
Head Tech

Post by ZMiller » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:58 pm

I ask the all mighty at the top of the food chain "Fat Monkey"

Is it to late in your untethered opinion for diesel tanks regarding the corrosion issue?
X No
X Yes
X No Comment
X Maybe
X Maybe Not
X What are you talking about?

fattermonk
Pump Jockey

Post by fattermonk » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:56 am

Since you're asking for untethered opinions, I feel obliged.

Two observations:

1- steel diesel tanks are in trouble (duh), however linings have been used successfully to protect the walls. Most states during the 1998 upgrade of SW steel were required to either line or install catpro. Our state required both. We're finding most SW steel diesel tanks have virtually no metal loss. It appears the liner is protecting from the inside and the cathodic protection protects from the outside.

2 - FRP tanks (DW and SW) pre 1991 are not doing well in conjunction with the new gasoline blends. This is completely unproven, maybe untethered, but the assumption is 10% ethanol may be the culprit. Testing/research/data required. I've seen two catastrophic failures in the last year. Both FRP with gasoline. Currently I view these old fiberglass tanks as the greatest environmental threat.
This opinion is mine and not shared by my employer